Win 7 Will No Longer Boot

dmcmillen

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
Win 7, 64, Home Premium, 120GB SSD SATA3 system disk (C), 3TB Hitachi SATA3 data drive (E,F,G,H)

My config when this problem started was the above. To make a long story short (took me a while to figure all this out), the 3TB data drive started going bad -- started getting bsods, event 11's, etc. I went ahead and did the rma for the replacement 3tb data drive and continued to use the system. Booted just fine for a while and then would take forever to boot into windows and then finally a week ago wouldn't boot at all after I tried hooking it up to a SATA2 port to trouble shoot. When I hooked it back up to a sata3 port it wouldn't boot at all.

Since then I have received the replacement 3TB drive and installed a fresh win7 on it and am using it as a system drive to further trouble shoot the problem with the SSD system drive. I did finally figure out that if I have the old bad 3TB drive in the system hooked up to sata 3 port, the new system drive (3tb for testing) may or may not boot at all and if it does it takes forever. Once I removed the bad data drive from the machine, no problems booting to my test 3TB win 7 drive. It just won't boot from the ssd drive. I see it in bios and can access via explorer. I can also access the bad 3tb drive via usb connection ok with no effect on the system. It does have a bad partition.

I have run BurnIn and other diagnostics on all components including the ssd drive that it will not boot from with absolutely no problems (wasn't sure whether i had a bad controller or disk). fyi, the win 7 installation on the ssd drive has a System Reserve and a full win 7 partition. I do have Ghost backups that I can try to restore to the 2 ssd partitions, but I thought someone might have another suggestion. I am mystified as to how the failing data drive caused windows to become corrupted if indeed it is corrupted.

Thanks for your help -- David

Sounds to me like bad Partition tables... you'll need to get your hands on a Windows 7 DVD and do a Boot repair. Another option is to format the bad partition and/or run a partition repair application. Looks to me if you can access the drives via USB with no problem, it may be as simple as a Partition table repair which can be done with the installation DVD or third party software.

Why both SSD and 1TB HD? maybe a virus.

Also make sure you're using AHCI in the BIOS hard drive settings.

best partition table repair software
https://www.google.com/#q=best+partition+table+repair+software