Win 7 wont start from ssd without hdd

Mirxii

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
So while back I upgraded my PC with a SSD and installed win 7 on to my SSD while HDD was plugged in and after i had installed win 7 and bunch of softwares on to the SSD I decided to unplug the HDD and use only the SSD. However my PC wont start with only SSD plugged in. I assume it didnt install everything to the SSD. So i plugged my HDD back in and left it that way. But now im running out of space on my SSD and would like to format my HDD and use it as a storage for not so frequently used stuff. So is there a way to get the "whole windows" on to my SSD.

Solution
Hi there Mirxii,

One thing you can try is to take the HDD out of the system and try to run start up repair.
If this fails, then I believe the best option would be to perform clean OS install with the HDD not connected to the system.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there Mirxii,

One thing you can try is to take the HDD out of the system and try to run start up repair.
If this fails, then I believe the best option would be to perform clean OS install with the HDD not connected to the system.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution
windows 7 has this stupid habit of looking for secondary drives for system reserve folder...thats why its always advisable to install windows 7 with only the target drive attached...
u can try the above suggestion by D_Know_WD...but i am not too sure whether a microsoft startup repair can replicate the system reserve folder...
subsequently ur best resolution wud be to do a clean install of windows with only the ssd attached...