WIN 8.1 - 100% SSD Activity, 0 R/W Speed: System Hang

anonalchemist

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Hey guys,

So I've just been experiencing a weird issue with my system where it hangs and it is very unresponsive at random intervals of time (in fact, the first clue that I had an issue was when boot to desktop time was much longer than normal and desktop/startup apps took forever to load). My system would hang very often right when desktop begins to load in, and also when opening various web links or even at random intervals. (And by unresponsive, I mean that I can usually freely still move around my cursor and task manager is still shows moving graphs, but if I click within a program, the program will not respond to the command or it will be come "not responding".)

I've pulled up task manager to investigate during these periods of unresponsiveness correspond to when my C drive (my SSD) is at 100% activity, but 0 read/write speed. Checking "resource monitor" and "details" do not show any application using the disk to cause the 100% activity. In fact, at times during 100% activity, in "resource monitor", the processes list slowly decreases until there is nothing there, and then resets itself.

I've also attempted to play games and have task manager on the side to see what effect this would have. At several points, I would encounter the same "100% active, 0 R/W speed", but the game DOES NOT hang and I can game fine. However, if I were to click on let's say a web browser or a file explorer window, while gaming and having the "100% active, 0 R/W speed", it would respond to 1-2 click actions and then hang.

When I was typing this up, I experienced "100% active, 0 R/W speed" several times, but sometimes, I can continue typing and then randomly, the browser becomes unresponsive.

What I've tried to fix it:
- Disable prefetch (or something similar in chrome)
- Enable writing permissions to Skype
- chkdsk /f Results here:
3nJcLao.jpg

- sfc /scannow
- Full System Scan with Bit defender (scanned to 92% after 10+ hours. I cancelled it after that, 0 threats found)
- As a side note, HD Sentinel shows the drive at 99% due to lifetime use
- SMART att here:
dVQlw6L.png

According the same program, the max speed the drive has achieved since I've experienced this issue has been around 35MB/s in terms of transfer rates...clearly much slower than what it's capable of
- CCCleaner, cleaned out registry and some temp files
- Benchmark programs such as crystaldisk do not properly finish as when it is running, "100% active, 0 R/W speed" would occur and the system hangs

Specs:

- Crucial MX200 250GB SSD (Suspected issue)
- 500 GB External Drive
- 8 GB RAM
- i3 4130T

This shows a period of normal activity, and then unresponsiveness right when activity hits 100%:
Gzu7k6R.png

During 100% activity, what resource manager shows (the processes list decreases and eventually, results in the picture below):
HqdQH53.jpg

Showing "100% active, 0 R/W speed", yet not processes with disk activity:
YG7vxWY.jpg

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

*EDIT:

- I've also tried updating to the latest SSD firmware, but that hasn't helped
- Crucial Storage Management shows a health drive (I guess it's based on SMART atts)
- Tried to run a short self test through HD Sentinel, I let it run for 25 minutes, where I noticed that the progress bar was not progressing after the 3 minute mark (task manager showed minimum disk activity), so I cancelled that

whassup

Reputable
May 21, 2015
From the available info it seems like SSD is failing. I too faced similar issues on my Intel SSD like unresponsiveness, BSOD, incomplete benchmarks after a week or so SSD was dead and was not bootable anymore causing me loss of data on it. So first thing you should do now is backup data then troubleshoot.

anonalchemist

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

I've done a "semi-backup" of just copy/pasting whatever I could (program files and data files) onto an external and haven't bothered with an image yet, in case this was an issue with my configuration/3rd party programs.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot next?

skak85

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Are you still there? I had similar issues with Crucial MX200 while I had Acronis True Image installed (even not yet activated!). I removed it and now the system seems to be stable (just one day passed, but no more issues).

Do you have Acronis too?

It's a common (and weird) problem, "google" it...

anonalchemist

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

Sorry for not updating this thread.

I don't have Acronis installed and the same symptoms occurred even after repeated clean installations.

I ended up RMAing the drive and received a refurbished one, of which has been perfectly functional. I've been using that drive for about 2 months now and I haven't seen any issues thus far.