win 8.1 BSOD on cold boot, unable to enter bios

martin_r

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
Hi!

I am experiencing a problem with my PC. After a cold boot today I recieved a BSOD with an error "Machine_check_exception" just after when Windows starts to boot up. I´m unable to enter BIOS via del key because of the fast boot option enabled.

Everything was working normally the day before when I updated my bios to the latest version and enabled the max performance option via Samsung Magician on my SSD. After the bios update I also reset my cpu overclock to the exact same level it had been performing faultlessly for the previous 3 months. Could these changes cause this BSOD error? Is there anything I could try to do to fix the issue?

Here is my PC info:
Windows 8.1
PSU 750W Chieftec CTG-750C
i7-5820k @ 4 ghz 1.130v (idle temp 40c, peak temp 72c after 20h stress test)
arctic freezer i30 cpu cooler
msi x99s sli plus motherboard
4x 8GB crucial 8gb ddr4 2133 1.2v DR x8 UDIMM 288p
gigabyte gtx 970 windforce gpu
samsung 840 evo 250 GB SSD (OS drive)
2x toshiba 3TB DT01ACA300 HDD
LG cd/dvd/blu-ray optical drive

All the help is greatly appreciated!

I would expect a machine check exception to be a overclock failure.
generally this would be a error detected by the CPU and the CPU forces a bugcheck to stop the system.

I would stop any overclocking.

since you mention this happens on cold boot, I would be looking at the power ok signal on the power supply to be incorrect. Cheap power supplies will hard wire the signal (they lie) The signal is used to tell the motherboard and CPU that the power supply is stable and that the CPU can be started. the process might take a few seconds. crappy power supplies don't have the circuity and just lie to the motherboard and the motherboard does not delay the CPU from starting. This cause the CPU to start up with voltages that are too low. The CPU memory controller detects the errors and tells the CPU and the CPU tells windows to shut down.

You might find that a BIOS update might help, you might prevent the problem by starting your cold boot and then hitting control alt delete to add a delay to give the power supply time to warm up and stabilize. (there is a big power drain at a cold boot: drives, coolers and fans spinning up, the CPU should be delayed from starting until the power is good)

or it could just be overclocking problem

martin_r

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015

Thanks for your reply johnbl!
It seems pressing ctrl+alt+delete did not offer any results. Maybe because the system fails to recognize the keyboard (indicator light not active). That also explains why I´m unable to enter bios. I was also able to grab a screenshot from boot up video, which states that 0 usb devices are connected. It also shows cpu at its default clock. Is this normal?

t2SS5bz.png

Sorry about the picture quality.
Is there anything else I could do besides getting a new psu or cpu?

you need to get keyboard control, maybe try a different port (usb 2.x port)
maybe power cycle the machine several times until windows figures out there is a problem.
when you get to BIOS make sure your power management setting do not turn off the USB ports to save power.

you are looking to make your machine do a full cold boot and reinitialize its electronic rather than doing a warm boot.
maybe use a PS/2 type keyboard? if you can. You need to get into BIOS. There are key sequences that would help, but not if your USB port has failed or is turned off.

martin_r

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015

I tried the different usb ports but none of them recognized the usb keyboard. I´ll try to get a hold of a PS2 type keyboard tomorrow and see how it goes.
Is it be possible that the SSD (OS) drive has failed and so by removing it could it find a way to boot from my windows 8.1 dvd and enter bios from there (if it is possible) and reset all settings (back to default clock) and see if this fixes the bsod? Or would the keyboard still be blocked?
Or would it help if I connected the SSD to an another PC and ran some sort of test to see if it is working properly?
Would CMOS clearing help to reset the bios defaults and enable the keyboard to be found again?

Appreciate your effort!

I would make sure the USB keyboard is plugged into a primary USB port (usb 2.0) rather than a secondary usb port like a usb 3.0. Also, unplug and other USB devices. I have even see where a case was misalighen and the metal of the case grounded out the USB port and the USB host will detect that and shut down the entire hub. even attempting to charge apple devices on a PC usb port can cause the entire hub to shut down because APPLE devices draw twice the max allowed current. otherwise the ps/2 keyboard or usb to ps/2 keyboard adapter might help with a disabled USB hub.

martin_r

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
Just wanted to let you know that the issue has been resolved!

It probably was the voltage issue for the CPU. I found the clear CMOS button on motherboard which restored the default clock speeds and voltages and system booted up with no problem at all. It even kept the latest bios version which I had previously installed!

Thanks and have a nice day :)