win 8.1 hard drive to other computer

quasimodo2014

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
I bought a new Lenovo computer a year ago it was ran once then the hard drive removed a new hard drive installed and new copy of win7 installed on it, the win 8.1 hard drive was just laying there and I want to install it in a different computer so I can upgrade it to win 10 and see how it works before I install win 10 in the machine I work at home with, how do I do that? I wired it and set the bios to boot directly from the hard drive but I get nothing it doesn't boot up. is there a way to use this hard drive with win8.1 on it instead of just formatting it, and installing a full version of win10?

Solution
Hi there quasimodo2014,

You can't really expect your system to boot, as the OS was installed on a machine with completely different hardware.
You will need to perform a clean OS installation.

If you have some data stored on the drive, you will need to attach it as a secondary one to another machine.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there quasimodo2014,

You can't really expect your system to boot, as the OS was installed on a machine with completely different hardware.
You will need to perform a clean OS installation.

If you have some data stored on the drive, you will need to attach it as a secondary one to another machine.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution

quasimodo2014

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

yeah that's the problem the Lenovo didn't come with a win8.1 disk at all I just think its bs that I bought win8.1 and cant use it unless its in that Lenovo desktop. I suppose I can take the seriel number from the Lenovo and then call Lenovo and ask for a win8.1 disk and see what they say. the Lenovo is used as a semi work computer that a 94 yr old man just checks his email on and he just could not use 8.1 so I got a new hard drive and a clean copy of win7 so I could install the classic shell program and make it work like win xo which he was familiar with