Win 8.1 not recognising secondary HDD

Absiin

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014
Hi all,

I'm new here so I'll do my best to be as clear as I can :)

After my original 750GB hdd died I bought two, a SDD and a Hydrid HDD for my m18 August 2013 release.

The laptop can't see the 2nd HDD through the bios nor through the OS... Has anyone been able to fix an issue like this one? I've been looking but I can't find anything :/

I'm running win 8.1 on an alienware M18 and this is my SSD and this is my HDD (2nd drive).

Both drives works, if I swap them the OS will see whichever one is on the 1st slot.

Solution
Hi there Absiin,

What is the SATA mode(check that in BIOS)? In case it is RAID, you may need to switch it to AHCI. Though, that way the laptop may not boot. So, if this is the case, you can back up the data stored on the drive -> switch the SATA mode to AHCI and perform a clean install.
In case the issue persists, you may need to contact the laptop's manufacturer.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

thedon57

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005
on the back of the hard drive should be some caps covering some pins it should have on the back master or slave move the caps accordingly but only on one of them that should make one of them the slave. if you look at both and caps are set the same then they are both master, just do the above as I have put and one become the slave

Absiin

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014

None of my drivers have jumpers, they're both 2.5''... :(

Hi there Absiin,

What is the SATA mode(check that in BIOS)? In case it is RAID, you may need to switch it to AHCI. Though, that way the laptop may not boot. So, if this is the case, you can back up the data stored on the drive -> switch the SATA mode to AHCI and perform a clean install.
In case the issue persists, you may need to contact the laptop's manufacturer.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Solution

Absiin

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014
what are the differences between raid and ahci? for what ive read raid mode is the most recommended..

Was your SATA mode set to RAID?
You basically use RAID when you want to set up a RAID, which I don't really think you need.
With only two drives, you can set up either RAID 1(offers redundancy at the price of storage space) or RAID 0(offers performance but you risk losing your data in case one of the drives fail). You can check this simple explanation: http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/50148/raid

I believe that you just want to add another drive so you can have more storage space right? In this case, most users just use AHCI.

D_Know_WD

Absiin

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014
Yes, I just wanted more storage...

Now i've changed it to AHCI but it still doesn't show anything...

I've been trying to figure out what cable to get for replacement but I can't find any!

Can someone give me a hand finding which cable to buy? Mine it's a double HDD ports connecting together and plugging onto motherboard...

PS. please help me lol I'm not a hardware person AT.ALL! *shy*