Question Win 8.1 PC did not wake up properly

messagetyper

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
So I left my PC on sleep for probably about 2 hours, and when I turned it on again after coming back the fans started spinning, and my mouse and keyboard lit up, but nothing came up on my monitor. Didn't wake my monitor up from sleep either.

So I held the power button for a few seconds to turn it on again and it was as if it was waking up from sleep then since it led me to my PC's lockscreen.
What was the cause of this? Is something broken? Should I be worried? I restarted my PC as soon as I turned it back on.

Ralston18

Titan
If the failure to "wake up" was a one-time occurrence or otherwise a rare issue just leave things alone.

Try to find some pattern with respect to the failures: time, the last app used, what screen/window you left the system in, and so forth.

Look in Reliability Monitor/History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that may have occurred in that 2 hour time span.

Hopefully just one of those glitches that can and do occur.

Reactions: messagetyper

messagetyper

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
If the failure to "wake up" was a one-time occurrence or otherwise a rare issue just leave things alone.

Try to find some pattern with respect to the failures: time, the last app used, what screen/window you left the system in, and so forth.

Look in Reliability Monitor/History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that may have occurred in that 2 hour time span.

Hopefully just one of those glitches that can and do occur.
I just checked the event viewer and found this:
lssY69s.jpg

It is then followed by a few 'information' entries, 3 of which talk about some of the NTFS volumes being healthy now.

However, I did find these:
lHlfcjf.jpg

2H3cyHI.jpg

The second entry had one more entry in the log.

Ralston18

Titan
Any disk related problems, errors, etc. even if fixed warrant immediate action.

Back up all important data and verify that that data is recoverable and readable.

Make and model drive(s) - age, capacity, how full? The manufacturer may have diagnostic software that you can run to check the overall health of the drive.

Google the error code(s) and get a sense of what may be happening in the context of your computer and its' drives.

Could be just glitch or bug but be prepared if it turns more serious.