win 8.1 pro - how to switch to uefi mode

bthewolf

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
Trying to setup a dual boot and have discovered my 8.1 is installed with legacy mode. How do I switch to uefi without losing all the programs I've only just installed? And will switching to windows 10 soon remove all my programs and files? Or will it be fine?

Answers and advice is appreciated.

My system in case its of relevance.

z97-a motherboard
i7 4790k cpu
gtx 970 gpu
2x8 GiB corsair vengeance
samsung 850 evo ssd
wd black hdd

I am attempting an ubuntu/windows dual boot for now. I want the operating systems on my sdd and main storage on the hdd. When trying to do it at the moment the ubuntu installer pops up and tells me that if I continue in uefi mode then it wont recognise my windows install. This is not ideal!

Is there no recovery tool that allows me to transition? I have just finished installing a load of things and do not wish to go through the hassle of doing it over.

Thanks in advance.

rksextoms

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
There are programs for ghosting entire hdd's and volumes (i dont know if norton ghost is still around or is the kind of thing your looking for) but i'm personally in the middle of making a program to do this so I know it can be done unless the UEFI switch and safe booting prevents reinstallation and registry insertion (I don't care much for the built in locks and I've only ran one UEFI test so far since my tablet is dying)

You said ubuntu is saying you CAN'T continue in UEFI but your in legacy mode, so i'm a little confused unless you simply mistyped something...and is this plain and simply a software issue? I have to ask since i'm a noob to the hardware side of thing's and on this site i'm never completely sure--which throws me off constantly when trying to help people.

if its just an attempt to backup your software, and your truly determined to do it, i'd be more than happy to boot up the tablet of death and run a few test's for you to see if I can find a way around the issue, but honestly if your not going to lose anything forever, it IS just easier and faster to reinstall than to backup and restore an entire drive state. point blank.

Feel free to message me if you'd like me to try, I would need more info on your software setup's and a bit of time before saying anything concrete, but I don't mind doing it as long as you have the patience to bear with me while I test and i'm not doing it for no reason at all.