win 8.1 tried to update to win 10. 92 % (68%) and hang for 24 hours. power went out and now i cannot see anything on screen.

CJM00101

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
I was going away for a week for work out of town... the day befor i noticed that my win8.1 comp (originally a win8 comp.), was upgrading to win10 (without me). (Either the kids hit 'yes', or it did by itself). Anyway... the update hung at 92%, (68%) for over 24 hours. I had to leave for a few days, so i could not deal with it at the time.

When I came home I found this machine off!! :(
I was told that the power had gone out in the night the next day and all was off.
Now this machine will turn on, (and stay on), but the video drivers must not have been compleat because it will not show on the screen (tv) at all. :-(
when it loaded the first 2 times the machine beeped 5 or 6 times. and would stay running.
now it will turn on, and stay on, but the screen will not show anything.
original setup is 2 Dvi outputs in the back. I had an (old) Asus video card in it to have an HDMI and PC output, as i do not have a Dvi imput on any of the screens at my house.
i tried taking the video card out and hook up with a HDMI>Dvi cord but this did not help.

Microsoft stated that the model i have is not (tested) compatible with win10. all the comercials i have endured for the last year have told me that it was 'fully compatible' and ready to upgrade. They, (microsoft) said that this 'ok' refers to ur programs and features, and not (necessarily) the pc hardware.

I asked Hp (the brand name), and they stated that, for a cost of $59.99 they would b able to try to fix the issue. Warrenty is expired.
I saw an 8.1 disk online for 15.99 but think i need a 8 disk, ( The original purchased os)

This was the main computer (for printer and extra harddrives etc) so i am lost now.
I removed the Hdd from the (affected) machine and hooked up to laptop so i could copy my save data to another drive, (sucesfully).

If i have to reinstall Windows,
a- can i use an old win7 disk to repair? (I have a win xp, Vista, and 7 disk.) will this fix the display?
B- Will I have to start at win8 if i do reinstall? it was at 8.1 bfor the mix-up.I like 8.1 and will probably leave it there if i can get it back to that.

if anyone could help that would b great. :)
thx
Chris

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
Try removing the CMOS battery inside the computer. It may have done something to the bios firmware and you have to remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard. It looks like a calculator or watch battery. Just take it out and wait 20 seconds and put it back in and put the machine on. Make sure the machine is unplugged when you're doing this.

This only applies if it's staying black the whole time with the machine on and the bios screen doesn't appear at all

CJM00101

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
So it seems that this is a bigger problem than i had originally anticipated....
I had a friend look at this comp overnight as he said he would try to fix for free, (computer store owner, 15 years fixing computers).
He tried to take out the cmos battery overnight and put back this morning... No help.
he told me that he thinks the motherboard needs to be replaced.

When i turn it on, it will stay on, flashes the keyboard and has the light on for internet, (at the point of ethernet cord insertion).
the only thing that i cannot get is the video to show.

This is all do to the Win10 update and the fact that it was not compatible with (Win10). now i have a problem with that since all of the 'commercials' i have had to endure for a year said otherwise.!!
Now i have an oversized paperwieght.