Win 8.1 - Use OneDrive w/o Windows logging into MS on startup?

Jun 28, 2018
Hi all,

Long time listener, first time caller :) -- I'm using Windows 8.1 on my main PC. On my Android devices, when using Microsoft apps, like Word, I have found it infinitely easier to just save all docs to my OneDrive, instead of Dropbox. So I want my 8.1 PC to load OneDrive, but I don't want the entire PC to have to login to Microsoft on startup. I like my local, private login without having to justify myself to a corporation every time I turn on my computer.

In 8.1 you cannot just install the standalone OneDrive app. It FORCES you to flip your PC over to logging into MS. I don't wanna. I just want OneDrive. On a related note, OneNote can independantly login to my MS account for managing my notes. I want the same with OneDrive...

Options??

Thanks!

Jun 28, 2018

Thanks for the reply. I'm interested to know your reasons why not to use OneDrive - beyond what I described above. Are there other issues that make it unsafe, or just not a good idea?

I have nothing against OneDrive, I use it quite a lot for both personal and business purposes.

But - you can't eat the cake, and still have it intact. If Microsoft have decided that to use OneDrive, you have to sign in with MS account, you have no other choice but either sign-in, or use something else.