Win 8 + HD7950 wont wake after screen powers off

drkdeath5000

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hello,

I've been experience this problem for 2 years and figured its about time i find a fix! The problem is when i enable my monitor to power off after x minutes in windows power settings its unable to wake up again. Mouse and keyboard are unresponsive but the system is still on when in this unwakeable state. I've read into this problem a lot and i see its a big problem with 7900 cards. The only fix i have found is to disable the screen power off and manually switch off my monitor when i'm not using it but this is far from ideal.

I have MSI AB installed with ULPS disabled which is supposed to fix it but this doesnt work for me. All power saving features including sleep and hibernation are off. The only power saving feature i have enabled is the screen power off.

Has anyone come across a solution for this problem?

Here_to_lern

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
I had a similar problem that got worse over time. Something to rule out is the monitor's power supply. I discovered two blown caps. Replaced them and problem went away. No idea why sleep was the only problem. Otherwise monitor functioned perfectly.

drkdeath5000

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

Hi there,

Thanks for posting much appreciated.

I'm afraid i already checked my monitor, i have 3 and none can recover from sleep or screen power off. I have carefully checked all my hardware including a PSU change with no results.

It seems the problem is the hd7950 simply cannot wake from a screen power off or sleep, its a limitation of the card i'm told or rather a bug.