Win 8 Msoft Download - Full or Upgrade?

gb777

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hello,

I read a thread on Slikdeals.net where you can download Win8 for $40. Someone there said they called Msoft and said they have Linux and if they bought the download, could they install it on a clean machine. The agent told him YES. He said he called again and asked the same question and got the same answer.

On the Microsoft download/purchase page, in the "before you buy" section it mentions "To install Windows 8 Pro, customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7."

Anyone know if you can install this on a clean machine with no os installed?

Here's the link and it's message #54 on page 4

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/81558/amazon.com-microsoft-windows-8-pro-or-windows-8-pro-pack-preorder-30-amazon-promotional-credit?&page=4#comments

Thanks

bliq

Distinguished
if you're running linux, then no, the upgrade version won't work. You would need to buy a full license. OOORRR find/buy an valid XP license really cheap, install that, then use the Win 8 Upgrade version.

Oh yeah, during the win 8 upgrade installation, you will be given the option to perform a clean install. But you need to have XP, Vista, or Win 7 on there first before it will allow you to even launch the upgrade installation.

Hi :)

Correct.... and I will be selling 8 in my shops.... (but not many I suspect)

All the best Brett :)

floepie

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

If that's true, then the registry edit method for clean install on an OS-less system won't apply. Yet, it seems there are many who believe that this method will still work from the W7 days.

TRENDING THREADS