win 98 client cannot logon to w2k DC.

jr

I have placed an win2k DC in a office on our domain. Win98 machines cannot
logon to the domain now. I believe there is a registry change that can be
done on the win2k DC to allow those 98 machines to login. I don’t recall the
reg change. Does anyone else?

The 98 machines logged into our other DC’s without the Directory client
installed on them. So why not the new DC. Any ideas?

The two main problems would be with SMB signing and lan manager
authentication level incompatibilities. Also W9X computers use netbios over
tcp/ip to find domain controllers which means that you would want to use
wins and make the W9X computers and domain controllers wins clients. Try to
ping the domain controller from the W9X computer by name and IP address as
both should work. See the link below for incomaptibilities in security
settings and pay special attention to digital signing of communications, lan
manager authentication levels, and anonymous access and information under
examples of incompatibility problems. W98 for instance without the DS
client can only use lm to authenticate which may be disabled for your domain
or the storeage of lm hashes may be disabled. You would want to make changes
to security settings in Domain Controller Security Policy. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823659