Win 98se missing files and cant load WIN NT please help!

I have an older computer operating on WIN 98 SE. I installed an ethernet
kit and hooked it up to dsl and all was good til the cd rom went out. I
changed it, and now nothing works, i had to reinstall the ethernet kit and
i kept getting the error "insert win 98 disc" which I did NOT have! I some
how managed to get everything installed again ( i had to reinstall
everything after a registry recovery to try to fix cd rom- bad idea!) so i
get everything back on and go to instal DSL software and all is good til
the end and it will show no connection to the modem. After many tests and
diagnostics, we realized there are missing WIN files. Well, my brother got
a hold of a WIN NT cd for me and i was just going to change the whole
operating system thinking that would fix everything. Well, when i go to
install NT, i get " setup can not install boot loader, set up will not
continue." I have read up a lot on NT and still dont know what to do to
get it fixed. Any ideas?? Much appreciate them!

They can answer the win9x questions here.
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion&cat=en_US_3e241e7b-26db-4617-96b8-772d55356883&lang=en&cr=US

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows NT install CD-Rom or setup
disks. When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
partitions found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then
again restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected
drive letter assignments with your new install.

Depending on your drive's geometry Windows NT supports a system partition
(the first primary active partition and where the files required to start
the OS reside (boot sector)) limited to 7.8gB NTFS or 4gB Fat16, while the
boot partition (where the OS is installed) is not limited in size. You wont
be able to create a system partition greater than 4gB with Windows NT Setup;
if you need a system partition 4gB - 7.8 gB, you'll need to use Partition
Magic or use another NT machine to create the first primary active
partition. The system and boot partition can be the same partition.

If you created one large system/ boot partition > 7.8 gB and installed the
OS, it may work, but the problem is if you defragment the drive or service
pack the install and the files ntdetect.com, ntldr, boot.ini, and
ntbootdd.sys end up being relocated to a point beyond the 7.8 gB barrier,
then the bootstrap process wont be able to find them and the OS wont start.

Once the OS is installed you can use Disk Administrator to partition and
format the rest of your drive. You'll need atapi.sys from SP4 or later for
Windows NT to be able to recognize a drive larger than ~ 8 gB. See the first
article for instructions.

Installing Windows NT on a Large IDE Hard Disk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q197667

You can extract atapi.sys from the service pack file by executing;
sp6i386.exe /x
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/SP6/128bitX86/default.asp

Windows NT 4.0 Supports Maximum of 7.8-GB System Partition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q224526

Boot Partition Created During Setup Limited to 4 Gigabytes
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q119497

Windows NT Partitioning Rules During Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q138364

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"chelle924" wrote:
|I have an older computer operating on WIN 98 SE. I installed an ethernet
| kit and hooked it up to dsl and all was good til the cd rom went out. I
| changed it, and now nothing works, i had to reinstall the ethernet kit and
| i kept getting the error "insert win 98 disc" which I did NOT have! I some
| how managed to get everything installed again ( i had to reinstall
| everything after a registry recovery to try to fix cd rom- bad idea!) so i
| get everything back on and go to instal DSL software and all is good til
| the end and it will show no connection to the modem. After many tests and
| diagnostics, we realized there are missing WIN files. Well, my brother got
| a hold of a WIN NT cd for me and i was just going to change the whole
| operating system thinking that would fix everything. Well, when i go to
| install NT, i get " setup can not install boot loader, set up will not
| continue." I have read up a lot on NT and still dont know what to do to
| get it fixed. Any ideas?? Much appreciate them!

Windows NT can't read FAT32 partitions made by Windows 98.
You must first use FDISK to delete the first, primary, active partition, to
install Windows NT.