Win a Free Unidentified Hellfire Torch

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Hello AGD and AGD2:

I am giving out 1 unidentified Torch to one lucky player in US East
Hardcore Ladder. Here's what you have to do.

1. Send an email to my address above with the subject line: Contest
Entry.
2. On the first line of your email, write one rational number between 1
and 10,000.
3. Leave second line blank.
4. Write your account name on the third line.
5. (Optional) Leave fourth line blank.
6. (Optional) You can comment on why you pick that number.

Entry Requirement:
1. You must have at least 1 char in US East Hardcore Ladder who is at
least level 75 and in Hell Act V.
2. Your email must be EXACTLY in the format specified above, otherwise
your entry is invalid.
3. I must receive your email by Friday, Sept 30, 11:59 pm Eastern
Daylight Time.
4. You may only submit one entry (if you have multiple accounts meeting
the above requirement, I ask that you don't send multiple entries using
multiple email addresses).
5. Anyone may enter; you don't have to be a poster in either usenet;
you can tell your friends, families, nosy neighbors, third cousins,
etc.

Winner will receive an email within 24 hours of the closing time. No
other notifications will be sent.

How the winner will be determined:
1. An average of all the submitted numbers will be calculated.
2. The person with the closest number to this average win the prize.
Closest is defined to be the absolute value of smallest difference
between an entry and the average number.
3. Tiebreaker rule:
3.a. The one with the highest character level wins.
3.b. Second character on the same account. The one with the highest
character level wins.
3.c. And so on up to 8 characters.
3.d. The one with most character classes wins.
3.e. If it comes to this, multiple winners are declared, each player
will get 1 Torch.

Miscelaneous tid-bits:
1. I will not reply to any correspondences sent to my email address.
Therefore, any questions should be posted in this thread.
2. On closing time, a bot will be run to scan and compile the entries.
3. For the psychologically and mathematically minded, you can tip the
scale to your favor by picking certain numbers if and only if the total
entries are too small. Therefore, the contest IS CANCELLED if there
are less than 30 entries.
4. "Rational number" means round number; integer; no decimal point.
5. "Absolute value" means magnitude; positive or negative does not make
a difference. For example, the absolute value of (5-10) is the same as
the absolute value of (10-5).
6. "Eastern Daylight Time" is the current time zone in US Eastern
Coast; New York is in this time zone. There are many websites that
have time conversion tables.
7. If there are great interest, I may do another contest afterwards.

Brian Kastel wrote:
> "Alex Holtz" wrote...
> >
> > [snip contest rules]
> >
> > 4. "Rational number" means round number; integer; no decimal point.
>
> Actually, Alex, a "rational number" is any number that can be represented as
> a ratio of two numbers; that is, the set of rational numbers includes many
> numbers with decimal points. You should use the term, "whole number," to
> specify numbers without fractional parts.

Thank you for pointing that out Brian. I wish I could edit my post.

ATTENTION EVERYONE: I made a mistake in my initial post. The correct
term, as Brian Kastel has pointed out, is: "Whole Number." You must
choose one whole number between 1 and 10,000. If it matters, the range
is inclusive, both 1 and 10,000 can be chosen.

> I wish I were able to qualify for the contest, but I have no HC characters,
> nor will I anytime soon. I hope you get a good response to the contest,
> though. It is a very nice idea.

I hope you can join too. Unfortunately, I don't have accounts in SC.
I sure hope 30 is not too big. Statistically, 30 is the minimum number
I need to be 95% sure that the entries are "random."

Brian Kastel wrote:
> "Alex Holtz" wrote...
> >
> > [snip contest rules]
> >

> I wish I were able to qualify for the contest, but I have no HC characters,
> nor will I anytime soon. I hope you get a good response to the contest,
> though. It is a very nice idea.

Yeah, nice idea. Not sure how you have so many damn torches to give
away :) but go for it. I'm on West so I can't enter, but I want the
first one I get to have been earnt anyway :)

chaliban wrote:

> Yeah, nice idea. Not sure how you have so many damn torches to give
> away :) but go for it. I'm on West so I can't enter, but I want the
> first one I get to have been earnt anyway :)

Team work, my friend. Team work. :)
We have chars specializing in key runs and organ runs. Finally, we
have 2 chars that together can do Uber Tristram in less than 15 mins.
If that's not enough, trading makes Torch runs much faster. For
example, we run mostly for D-keys, the other 2 types can be traded very
easily and in multiple quantities with 1 D-key.

Alex Holtz wrote:
> chaliban wrote:
>
> > Yeah, nice idea. Not sure how you have so many damn torches to give
> > away :) but go for it. I'm on West so I can't enter, but I want the
> > first one I get to have been earnt anyway :)
>
> Team work, my friend. Team work. :)
> We have chars specializing in key runs and organ runs. Finally, we
> have 2 chars that together can do Uber Tristram in less than 15 mins.
> If that's not enough, trading makes Torch runs much faster. For
> example, we run mostly for D-keys, the other 2 types can be traded very
> easily and in multiple quantities with 1 D-key.

hehe, no doubt. And I am impressed.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Alex Holtz" wrote...

> [snip contest rules]
>
> 4. "Rational number" means round number; integer; no decimal point.

Actually, Alex, a "rational number" is any number that can be represented as
a ratio of two numbers; that is, the set of rational numbers includes many
numbers with decimal points. You should use the term, "whole number," to
specify numbers without fractional parts.

I wish I were able to qualify for the contest, but I have no HC characters,
nor will I anytime soon. I hope you get a good response to the contest,
though. It is a very nice idea.

Cheers!

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

What is the D-key? Countess, Summoner or Nithalak?

"Alex Holtz" <aholtz29@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
1127802423.938199.197500@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> chaliban wrote:
>
>> Yeah, nice idea. Not sure how you have so many damn torches to give
>> away :) but go for it. I'm on West so I can't enter, but I want the
>> first one I get to have been earnt anyway :)
>
> Team work, my friend. Team work. :)
> We have chars specializing in key runs and organ runs. Finally, we
> have 2 chars that together can do Uber Tristram in less than 15 mins.
> If that's not enough, trading makes Torch runs much faster. For
> example, we run mostly for D-keys, the other 2 types can be traded very
> easily and in multiple quantities with 1 D-key.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Alex Holtz" wrote...

> I hope you can join too. Unfortunately, I don't have accounts in SC.
> I sure hope 30 is not too big. Statistically, 30 is the minimum number
> I need to be 95% sure that the entries are "random."

I don't have any way to even rush a character that quickly. But perhaps I
will start one, despite my knowing better. (The lag monster just irks me to
think about it....)

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Alex Holtz" wrote...

> I hope you can join too. Unfortunately, I don't have accounts in SC.

Okay, I started my first HC character for this ladder: an Amazon. Untwinked
(obviously), and getting along nicely when suddenly as she's taking on the
first zombie in the Burial Grounds they're standing face to face and nothing
is happening. Oh, great. So I'm thinking she's dead already from lag at
level 5, but then I see the "connection interrupted" screen, and, lo, she is
still alive. Cool. Rejoin the game, and resume playing. She even has all
the stuff she had found most recently.

Five minutes later, the same thing happened. Lag is evident, swinging away
at the Dark Clan thingie to no effect, and again rather quickly the
"connection interrupted" screen. Still alive. Hmmm... I'm wondering if
they changed something to just dump a lagging character from a game, now, so
as to avoid the lag deaths... It would be nice if that is true.

Well, rejoin the game again, and after a short time, the same thing happens.
WTF? I've never had this problem playing SC, but perhaps it's just a
coincidence. I'll try again later. Might be something with my ISP.

At any rate, she's level 7 now. If I get her to level 7.5 will that count?
I mean, what's one decimal place?

:)

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

I think it was "DeltaLima" <hotmailSP@AMdeltalima.com> that wrote
something like...

>What is the D-key? Countess, Summoner or Nithalak?

Nilly.
Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

The easy way i find it to remember who has what key is

1. Terror - Countess - Diablo Lord of Terror 1st slain.

2. Hate - Summoner - Mephisto Lord of Hate 2nd slain.

3. Destruction - Nilly - Baal Lord of Destruction 3rd slain.

--
Jake Mysterio - The Mysterious One of Nothingness.

"DeltaLima" <hotmailSP@AMdeltalima.com> wrote in message
> What is the D-key? Countess, Summoner or Nithalak?
>
> "Alex Holtz" <aholtz29@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 1127802423.938199.197500@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> chaliban wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, nice idea. Not sure how you have so many damn torches to give
>>> away :) but go for it. I'm on West so I can't enter, but I want the
>>> first one I get to have been earnt anyway :)
>>
>> Team work, my friend. Team work. :)
>> We have chars specializing in key runs and organ runs. Finally, we
>> have 2 chars that together can do Uber Tristram in less than 15 mins.
>> If that's not enough, trading makes Torch runs much faster. For
>> example, we run mostly for D-keys, the other 2 types can be traded very
>> easily and in multiple quantities with 1 D-key.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

I think it was "Jake Mysterio" <cretin@dodo.com.au> that wrote
something like...

>The easy way i find it to remember who has what key is
>
>1. Terror - Countess - Diablo Lord of Terror 1st slain.
>
>2. Hate - Summoner - Mephisto Lord of Hate 2nd slain.
>
>3. Destruction - Nilly - Baal Lord of Destruction 3rd slain.

Although in running through the game, you take out Mephisto before
Diablo. ; )
But Diablo came before all of them in D1, yes. : )

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!