Win Me problem with VIA 1394 Controller

karlb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2005

Recently bought a 1394 PCMCIA (Cardbus) card for my laptop PC (running Win
Me). It has a VIA 1394 chipset. It installs OK, no need for external
drivers.

Decided to setup a network connection to a Windows XP PC using the 1394
network. When I connect the cable the XP machine recognizes the connection.
When I try to browse the IIS Web Server (HTTP) on the XP machine from my
laptop, nothing happens, connection times out. No data is transfered over
the 1394 network. When I try and connect to the laptop from the XP machine,
I see some activity in the taskbar icons, but no data is transfered.

Checked the Microsoft Support Knowledge base. and found Article ID 272544
describing a problem with Win Me and VIA 1394 chipsets. Looks like my Me
installation has version 4.90.3000 of the OHCI1394.sys file. The Q272544 fix
says that to correct the problem I need version 4.90.3002.1 (or higher) of
OHCI1394.sys file. Unfortunately the article does not have a hotlink to
download the fix. Instead it says to contact Microsoft support for a FREE
download of the fix. BUT, it costs $35 to call/e-mail Microsoft support .
Doesn't sound FREE to me!

Can anyone tell me how I can download the Q272544 fix so I can get the
latest OHCI1394.sys version for Win Me? Help! I'm just about to give up.
Thanks.

It does not cost US$35 to call Microsoft and request a hotfix. Ring,
describe your problem, mention KB272544 and request access to the hotfix.
No charge will be made by Microsoft for this provided that a) yours is a
Microsoft rather than OEM version of Win Me, and, b) you make no other
technical query during the call. If the operator tries to charge you, ask
to speak to a supervisor.

If however yours is an OEM copy you should contact the manufacturer of
your PC and request them to supply the hotfix. If they say they cannot
and tell you to contact Microsoft remind them that they , the OEM, have
contracted with Microsoft to support the OS and that they are required to
provide you with the hotfix and that if they do not you will report them
to Microsoft for breaching the contract they have with Microsoft.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

KarlB <KarlB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Recently bought a 1394 PCMCIA (Cardbus) card for my laptop PC
> (running Win Me). It has a VIA 1394 chipset. It installs OK, no
> need for external drivers.
>
> Decided to setup a network connection to a Windows XP PC using the
> 1394 network. When I connect the cable the XP machine recognizes the
> connection. When I try to browse the IIS Web Server (HTTP) on the XP
> machine from my laptop, nothing happens, connection times out. No
> data is transfered over the 1394 network. When I try and connect to
> the laptop from the XP machine, I see some activity in the taskbar
> icons, but no data is transfered.
>
> Checked the Microsoft Support Knowledge base. and found Article ID
> 272544 describing a problem with Win Me and VIA 1394 chipsets. Looks
> like my Me installation has version 4.90.3000 of the OHCI1394.sys
> file. The Q272544 fix says that to correct the problem I need
> version 4.90.3002.1 (or higher) of OHCI1394.sys file. Unfortunately
> the article does not have a hotlink to download the fix. Instead it
> says to contact Microsoft support for a FREE download of the fix.
> BUT, it costs $35 to call/e-mail Microsoft support . Doesn't sound
> FREE to me!
>
> Can anyone tell me how I can download the Q272544 fix so I can get the
> latest OHCI1394.sys version for Win Me? Help! I'm just about to
> give up. Thanks.

karlb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2005

Well, I took your advice and decided to call MS Customer Service. What a
mess. After speaking with a telephone rep in Bangalor, I was told that they
could not connect me with an agent because the wait was too long. I was told
to call back later. Which I did. Another Bangalor rep. asked me the same
questions over again, but this time said that I would be connected with an
agent in 5 MINUTES!. Oh joy! Well, after 4 HOURS ON HOLD (BTW, the elevator
music is mind numbing) I decided to give up. So it looks like the FREE
hotfix from Microsoft requires OVER 4 hours on hold, aparently. How can I
get this simple hotfix without wasting the better part of my life on HOLD!
Any additional suggestions would be appreciared. Thanks.

KarlB

"Mike M" wrote:

> It does not cost US$35 to call Microsoft and request a hotfix. Ring,
> describe your problem, mention KB272544 and request access to the hotfix.
> No charge will be made by Microsoft for this provided that a) yours is a
> Microsoft rather than OEM version of Win Me, and, b) you make no other
> technical query during the call. If the operator tries to charge you, ask
> to speak to a supervisor.
>
> If however yours is an OEM copy you should contact the manufacturer of
> your PC and request them to supply the hotfix. If they say they cannot
> and tell you to contact Microsoft remind them that they , the OEM, have
> contracted with Microsoft to support the OS and that they are required to
> provide you with the hotfix and that if they do not you will report them
> to Microsoft for breaching the contract they have with Microsoft.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> KarlB <KarlB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Recently bought a 1394 PCMCIA (Cardbus) card for my laptop PC
> > (running Win Me). It has a VIA 1394 chipset. It installs OK, no
> > need for external drivers.
> >
> > Decided to setup a network connection to a Windows XP PC using the
> > 1394 network. When I connect the cable the XP machine recognizes the
> > connection. When I try to browse the IIS Web Server (HTTP) on the XP
> > machine from my laptop, nothing happens, connection times out. No
> > data is transfered over the 1394 network. When I try and connect to
> > the laptop from the XP machine, I see some activity in the taskbar
> > icons, but no data is transfered.
> >
> > Checked the Microsoft Support Knowledge base. and found Article ID
> > 272544 describing a problem with Win Me and VIA 1394 chipsets. Looks
> > like my Me installation has version 4.90.3000 of the OHCI1394.sys
> > file. The Q272544 fix says that to correct the problem I need
> > version 4.90.3002.1 (or higher) of OHCI1394.sys file. Unfortunately
> > the article does not have a hotlink to download the fix. Instead it
> > says to contact Microsoft support for a FREE download of the fix.
> > BUT, it costs $35 to call/e-mail Microsoft support . Doesn't sound
> > FREE to me!
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how I can download the Q272544 fix so I can get the
> > latest OHCI1394.sys version for Win Me? Help! I'm just about to
> > give up. Thanks.

Try calling at a different time of day and you may get a response from a
call centre in a different continent. Here in the UK I after being first
queried as to what I want by someone based in either the UK or Ireland I
then normally get passed to either India or Canada depending on the time
of day. Fortunately I very rarely have needed to ring to obtain a hotfix
and have luckily never had to wait more than a few minutes.