Win Pro 1064 OEI not working

powerlinerouter

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
Hi all,

I am feeling immensely lossful at the current hurdle in my new budget PC venture:

I am trying to install Win Pro 10 64Bit with the OEI DVD that I bought. I don't think the BIOS is recognising the M.2 SSD. When I boot from the Windows CD, the reader spends a long time reading it and there are some noises from the computer, and in the end it tells me to put a bootable CD into the drive or change the boot device or something like that.

Basically, it's not having it. Is this because it isn't recognising that there is a HDD/SSD? Or am I missing something about the OEI CD?

AVP Storm P27 Midi Mesh Gaming Case for Cooling Fan with Window Side Panel - Black
EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard
AMD FX-4350 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus GeForce GT 730 2GB Video Card
8 Gigs Furious Violent Killer RAM or something :)
PCIe M.2 converter
256G M.2 SSD
An old DVD/CD Drive from my old Dell Dimension

Solution

no, even with no hard drive in your computer you still would be able to boot into the windows install as long as the disk is readable and your optical drive is able to read DVD disks and is in working order

there are m.2 adapters out there that will let you use it as a sinple PCI-e card but as far as motherboard compatibility goes i am not sure

not sure what OEI is. do you mean OEM? it sounds like a bad copy of windows. i would get access to another computer and goto the MS website and download the media creation tool. with this you can make another copy of windows 10 on a DVD or USB drive. as long as you have a valid windows key you can use any copy of windows 10 to install

powerlinerouter

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

Thanks Captain. I think OEI might be another way of them meaning OEM. The package says OEI but I think it's kind of the same thing. Do you happen to know if this scenario would happen if there was no HDD/SDD being detected?

I have a feeling that this is the reason why nothing is going on although I have an awareness (not understanding) that there is something called ADK tools to be used in conjunction with installing from an OEM, and wondering if I am supposed to somehow be using that to make it work? Althought how I get that from BIOS I don't know? Or perhaps it's a bootable CD to create on another machine.

Ugh, sadness :( I just want my new machine up and running amazingly!

from your post it sounds like it is not gettin g into the windows install at all. am i correct in assuming this? if your HDD/SSD drive is already formatted or has nothing on it then this messages is normal because when it fails to boot from the disk then it will look for another drive to boot from

Hi

A modern windows disk is a dvd so you need a working dvd reader
An alternative is a windows 10 usb created using the microsoft media creation tool from a fresh download or a variety of other tools

If you have another pc with working dvd drive you can check your windows dvd is readable and use a utility to copy the files off the dvd to a 4 or 8 GB usb memory stick

The M2 ssd should be detected by windows 8 or 10 but usually not by vista or 7

Since window 10 setup has not run i suspect a faulty dvd drive or windows dvd disk

Regards
Mike Barnes

powerlinerouter

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
Thanks guys this is giving me hope!

Captain:
Correct, i'm not getting into Windows Install at all.

Mike:
I know the DVD/CD drive is working fine. It's from my old system and I actually put in the motherboard DVD which loaded up until I realised that I didn't need to do that and needed to do Windows first! lol. I'll go and check the DVD is working in another device now...

Big:
The SDD is brand new but I don't think it's being detected. It's an Intel 600p 256 GB M.2 NVMe PCIe Solid State Drive plugged in with a StarTech x4 PCI Express to M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter. However the BIOS isn't coming up with any Intel anything...

powerlinerouter

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
Mike: The CD is being read:
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/1600/JB5H5X.jpg

Big:
This sounds pretty fundamental. I'm sure I sound like a big-time tourist: what does this mean? This is rather gutting as knowing I am a full on tourist in this arena, I was using pcpartpicker which has it's what seems to now be it's not-that-great compatibility function telling me that that SSD was totally fine to use with the mobo. I knew that the mobo doesn't have it's own M.2 socket, but perhaps incorrectly assumed that the PCIe would be fine to use to make it work with somewhat of a boost compared to just using a SATA adapter (no point). :(:(

powerlinerouter

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

Thanks Big. 2 qustions:

1: Is this why the Windows installer isn't starting up?
2: could you recommend an SSD that is compatible? (am I able to use M.2 with a PCIe adapter at all on this mobo?)

there are three different types of SSD drives. ones that use the older SATA interface, ones that are like addon cards that go into a PCI-E slot. , and ones that use an M.2 slot.

by looking at your motherboard specs your mobo does not have an M.2 slot

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/specifications/

powerlinerouter

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

Thanks Captain, that's correct. I have it fitted into one of my PCIe slots using the StarTech x4 PCI Express to M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter.

I know my PCIe slots are second generation, but my research was that the M.2 would still be faster than that SSD's connected via SATA. However looks like I may not have done enough research...!

powerlinerouter

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

Thanks again Big. Oh dear I thought I had my head around M.2 but clearly there's a lot I missed. I'm sorry, I don't really know what NVMe is and what it means that my mobo does't support it. Is it the case then that my mobo can't make use of PCIe adapters for M.2 at all to get a speed boost from these drives? *feels epic failure*

SSD drives that use SATA are still a night and day improvement over any HDD and they are usually cheaper then the other options. the easiest way to tell the difference between a PCI-E and M.2 drive is the M.2 drives will look similar to a stick of ram

powerlinerouter

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

Ahhhhh. Ok, so i can still use the drive, but it can't boot from it?

powerlinerouter

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
Thanks Big, thanks everyone.

I'll see what I can do about returning/refunding the drive/ending my life (lol).

I'll try the media creation tool and see if that works but think I'll do that tomorrow as I'm fed up after everything today :(

no, even with no hard drive in your computer you still would be able to boot into the windows install as long as the disk is readable and your optical drive is able to read DVD disks and is in working order

there are m.2 adapters out there that will let you use it as a sinple PCI-e card but as far as motherboard compatibility goes i am not sure

Solution

powerlinerouter

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
That's good clarification thanks Captian, that takes care of the Windows thing and sounds like you and Big are on the same page there.

mobo compatibility is required for a drive being bootable then I take it?

TRENDING THREADS