Win xp desktop takes 3 to 5 seconds before it opens any app or file

gretsch

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
win xp takes 3 to 5 secinds before it opens files or runs apps. Its like it is busy. I can't see anything going on that
looks out of place. If I am in win explorer and opening and closing files one after another it will not open the new file and I
have to click on it again.
Thanks Ken

gretsch

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I have 2 GB of ram. A bit more info on this problem is that this started about two weeks ago. Up till that time it was ok. I have run Mcafee enterprise; CA from my server (Kerio Winroute Firewall and Mail server); Superantispyware and Spybot, with nothing found. My daughter told me she went to a web page (don't have info on that) and while there got a popup about needing to scan for virus. She said Mcafee reported something was blocked ( once again no info) and she ran a Mcafee scan,
not the fake scan and nothing was found. The firewall logs don't show any I/O's which I can not ID as ok.
This is where I'm at this time.
Ken

gretsch

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

I have been there. It seems that lets say if I open Win Explorer I get nothing for the time (~ 5sec) and then explorer comes up on monitor and at same time I get explorer.exe at about 10% and csrss.exe at around 7%. Nothing stands out to me.
I don't have another XP machine to cross check with. The processor goes to around 75% as there are a few more processes
at 1 or 2 % for a short time ( .5 to 1 sec).
Ken