Win XP file sharing problem on domestic LAN

machinist60

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
The LAN has 6 devices accessing each other. They are a Win XP SP3 desktop, a Win 7 desktop, both hardwired to a NetGear WNR2000 router and wifi connections to a Nexus 7, Nexus 10, a Western Digital Smart TV box and an LG ST600 smart TV upgrader. LG uses CIFS, don't know what the others are using. There is a work group set up.

All this was sharing fine until AVG internet security was uninstalled from the XP machine. After troubles with free Avira and Comodo, free ZoneAlarm antivirus and firewall was installed and the XP machine now runs well (WMIPrvse was hogging resources). Now the XP machine will not share files on the network, it accesses the internet ok. The rest of the network sharing is working normally. The ZoneAlarm firewall seems to be set correctly must I don't understand this fully. I have searched and checked as much as I am able and am at dead end.

How do I get this XP machine to share on the network again?

Thanks for any help, John.

why do you have Avira, Comodo, and ZoneAlarm installed at the same time?

Is it Comodo AnitVirus, Firewall, or Internet Security?

You should only install one firewall and one antivirus software. The antivirus programs can interfere with each other.

if you have two firewall programs, you will need to configure them both.

machinist60

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Thanks for your reply, I tried them in sequence, they caused WMIPrvse to run at bootups which killed performance. I only have free ZoneAlarm firewall and antivirus installed now. I have found my problem, the firwall was not configured correctly, in ZoneAlarm the LAN must be in the trusted zone, not in the public zone.

John.