Win XP or Vista for Gaming New Build?

Awk76

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
So I building a new gaming computer around a Q9550 and a GTX 295 and I’m wondering would it be better to install WIN XP or Vista? I’ve heard things about Vista not being that gaming friendly. At least Win XP has been around long enough that there aren’t as many problems as there once was. Also, if I go Visa should I go 32 bit or 64 bit…….I have to admit I don’t’ really know the difference in terms of what’s better for gaming and compatibility issues.

Thanks.

Already have WinXP you can use? If so you can do that without a problem.
If you need to buy a copy of Windows go with Vista SP1 64Bit OEM.

Vista gaming issues have been mostly sorted out with SP1 and updated hardware drivers.

Awk76

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Sounds like Vista it is then. In terms of Basic or Premium, do they both come in a 64-bit flavour? Are there any real differences between the 2 versions?

Vista Home Premium 64 bit...it's worth the extra $10.

+1 for Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

With a 32-bit system, the graphics card would take a lot of the memory address space and you'd end up with stuttering or out of memory errors, even i fyou do have lots of physical RAM installed.

Also, between XP and Vista, what's the point of buying the best video card ever if you use it in XP with DirectX 9? It would be a waste.

+1

Well said! I completely agree with every one of aevm's points.