Win XP or Win 10 or either

kombivan

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016
now with a fresh install of win 10 can I partition the HDD in win xp or do I have to do that in win 10......Bit Off the track here but I need to know this one as I'm going to install win 10 on my new computer and I've formatted all the drives in XP and I keep seeing create partitions with win 10 everywhere?

Colif

Win 11 Master
how new is the PC? Do you have a UEFI bios? are you using UEFI or Legacy boot method?

If you have a UEFI bios, Win 10 is likely to have formatted the drive it is on using GPT but can access drives formatted by XP. The problem is the other way, XP cannot boot off a GPT drive as it is formatted differently to what XP is expecting. One way to avoid this is to put XP on its own hdd but I am not entirely sure how the boot manager will work

If PC only has legacy boot then this problem doesn't exist as Win 10 will format drive in such a way that XP can be booted from a 2nd partition on drive.

As for formatting the drive itself, I would make the partitions using Disk management in Win 10 as I assume you just want to make a partition to install win 7 onto. The Win XP installer would have no idea what Win 10 is and could possibly delete the win 10 install or break its MBR

kombivan

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016
ami legal bios, supports p&p acpi 1.1, supports jumpfree, smbios 2,3,1 support, cppu, vccm, nb voltage multi adjuster. Its an fx8370 cpu on Asrock98ode3/u3s3 r2.0 mb. its new will only be running win 10 pro full install from DVD there won't be a second os on the machine at this time if there were to be it would be win7 but I can't see a purpose for win 7 at this time and it will be 64bit I will have 5hdd's permanently in the puter. My Hdd are mostly 750gb and I will be using the 750gb as one partition. I've got plenty of drive space so no point being frugal. I just though the two NTFS file systems would be the same. so if all the other drives were xp ntfs and the OS drive is formatted with win 10 that would be ok would it, would it?

kombivan

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016
The main thing is that I can use win 10 to replace the xp partitions and reformat them rather than removing them again and putting them back in an xp machine to remove the partitions then put back into win 10 puter for fresh install and partition and format. I am still wait for my ram to arrive then I start installing the win 10 and I want to be sure I am going about things the correct way being my first clean win 10 install. Also because I have 5hdds I want the bottom drive to be the OS so I figure with sata I would disconnect all the drives except that one when installing win 10 then reconnect them then do the drive lettering thing or should I leave them all connected and just leave the drive I want to use unformatted and install to that drive is that easy to find an unformatted drive.