Win XP password problem

raj

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Dear sir/madam,
Please help meto solve this problem.
Im the only user for my new PC which using Win Xp Pro SP2 with the user-ID
named as "Raj". I never set any password for my user id. However, im having
administrator capability. Two days ago i use internet for the first time.
Today i receive a pop up message which says "Windows update are ready to
install". When i select "install", the installation runs and after its
completion it prompted me to restart my PC. When i restart my PC, my "Raj"
user login prompt me to enter password. Im confuse because i never set any
password for my user account initially. I tried to restart under save mode
and select administrator with blank password but the windows dont allow me to
go in without password. Im worroed now because i never any set password for
administrtor before this.
Im sure i got all this problem after i update my windows with the new patch.
Pls help me to solve this problem as i cant log into my pc now.

Raj,

There are two ways to reset your password according to Microsoft one
for local and one for domain. The way you approach this since you
logging on locally to you XP machine is to create a password reset
disk. This is supported by Microsoft. To view the procedure please
click on the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q305478&ID=KB;EN-US;Q305478&
Good Luck.

Colesky

Raj,

If that doesn't work try this:

That is not supported by Microsoft. Use at your own risk. I have used
it before and it works in a variety of manners. I would not try and
set a password in the tool, rather just leave the password blank. This
tool reads and enumerates the SAM database which is where the local
user accounts are stored.

Colesky

Raj wrote:

> Im the only user for my new PC which using Win Xp Pro SP2 with the user-ID
> named as "Raj". I never set any password for my user id. However, im having
> administrator capability. Two days ago i use internet for the first time.
> Today i receive a pop up message which says "Windows update are ready to
> install". When i select "install", the installation runs and after its
> completion it prompted me to restart my PC. When i restart my PC, my "Raj"
> user login prompt me to enter password. Im confuse because i never set any
> password for my user account initially. I tried to restart under save mode
> and select administrator with blank password but the windows dont allow me to
> go in without password. Im worroed now because i never any set password for
> administrtor before this.
> Im sure i got all this problem after i update my windows with the new patch.
> Pls help me to solve this problem as i cant log into my pc now.
Hi

Please try this:

Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly early in the computer/Windows
startup process)

Select "Last Known Good Configuration"

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: