Win XP Pro and D-Link DWL-G520 can't connect to the intern..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I have Win XP Pro and put in a D-Link DWL-G520 wireless PCI card. It
connects ok and can 'see' my network that is established by my D-Link
DI-624 but I cannot get any Internet access from the wireless desktop.
The link status and signal strength is at 100%.
I have unchecked the option of 'Let Windows manage my wireless
connection' because I am using the D-Link wireless configuration
utility. I have also tried checking this option with the same result.

Any ideas as to what I need to do in order to get Internet access
using the G520 card? I am thinking it is a Win XP setting or
something but.....It is really starting to bug me.

Thanks,
Walter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

The first question I always ask is if you can ping the web sites. if not,
check the DNS settings first, or post ipconfig /all here.
or you can go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net >do-it-yourself tools to do the
troubleshooting.

--
For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have Win XP Pro and put in a D-Link DWL-G520 wireless PCI card. It
> connects ok and can 'see' my network that is established by my D-Link
> DI-624 but I cannot get any Internet access from the wireless desktop.
> The link status and signal strength is at 100%.
> I have unchecked the option of 'Let Windows manage my wireless
> connection' because I am using the D-Link wireless configuration
> utility. I have also tried checking this option with the same result.
>
> Any ideas as to what I need to do in order to get Internet access
> using the G520 card? I am thinking it is a Win XP setting or
> something but.....It is really starting to bug me.
>
> Thanks,
> Walter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

It sounds as though you may have a corrupted Winsock. The Winsock is an
application that sits between your browser and the tcp/ip stack. When you
install a network adapter without first disabling your virus protection
software it corrupts the winsock. Normally, you won't see the difference
unless you're attempting to connect wirelessly. This is because wireless
traffic has additional headers that increase the packet size.

I would suggest that you first log into the router's web configuration
utility. Select the Tools tab and the Misc button. Attempt to ping
"yahoo.com" from the router's ping utility. If the ping is unsuccessful,
click on the Home tab and the WAN button and set static DNS addresses.
4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 should work.

If this is successful you probably do have a corrupted Winsock. You can
download a small program that will fit a a floppy disk that will reinstall
your Winsock and get you up and running in no time. That program can be
downloaded at http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html .

Best of luck to you.

1-877-45DLINK

"Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have Win XP Pro and put in a D-Link DWL-G520 wireless PCI card. It
> connects ok and can 'see' my network that is established by my D-Link
> DI-624 but I cannot get any Internet access from the wireless desktop.
> The link status and signal strength is at 100%.
> I have unchecked the option of 'Let Windows manage my wireless
> connection' because I am using the D-Link wireless configuration
> utility. I have also tried checking this option with the same result.
>
> Any ideas as to what I need to do in order to get Internet access
> using the G520 card? I am thinking it is a Win XP setting or
> something but.....It is really starting to bug me.
>
> Thanks,
> Walter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Even before PINGing web sites:
1) run IPCONFIG. Do you have an IP address in the same subnet as the
wireless desktop's wireless interface?
2) does IPCONFIG show a Default Gateway address equal to the wireless
desktop's wireless interface?
3) can you PING the wireless desktop's wireless interface? Can you PING the
wireless desktop's Internet interface? Can you PING the ISP (run IPCONFIG
on the wireless desktop and get the address of the Default Gateway).

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Robert L [MS-MVP]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The first question I always ask is if you can ping the web sites. if not,
> check the DNS settings first, or post ipconfig /all here.
> or you can go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net >do-it-yourself tools to do
the
> troubleshooting.
>
> --
> For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>
> Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
> Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more
help.

> Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
>
> "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have Win XP Pro and put in a D-Link DWL-G520 wireless PCI card. It
> > connects ok and can 'see' my network that is established by my D-Link
> > DI-624 but I cannot get any Internet access from the wireless desktop.
> > The link status and signal strength is at 100%.
> > I have unchecked the option of 'Let Windows manage my wireless
> > connection' because I am using the D-Link wireless configuration
> > utility. I have also tried checking this option with the same result.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what I need to do in order to get Internet access
> > using the G520 card? I am thinking it is a Win XP setting or
> > something but.....It is really starting to bug me.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Walter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi Ron.
Here's the IPCONFIG from the wireless desktop:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . : mycomputer-c4gqi8
Primary Dns Suffix. . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G
DWL-G520 Adapter
Physical Address . . . . . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-88-A6-5A-7C
Dhcp Enabled . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address . . . : 169.254.81.115
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet
Adapter
Physical Address . . . . . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-6E-82-5B-0F

* I should note that it looks like I have 2 network adapters - according to
the above and according to Device Manager (also I have two double computer
icons in my Win XP tray, one with a red X through it (the VIA Compatable
one). The VIA Compatable tray icon states that 'Local Area Connection - A
network cable is unplugged'. This adapter still shows as enabled in Device
Manager. I have an Asus A7V8X-X mobo and I believe the VIA adapter is a
resident PCI adapter that comes on the install disk for the mobo.

**By the way, IPCONFIG on my main desktop (the one with the D-Link DI-624
and cable modem) shows:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2 :

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . . . :
IP Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

I also tried a 'tracert www.yahoo.com'. It comes back with :

"Unable to resolve target system name www.yahoo.com"

Thank you!
Walter

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> Even before PINGing web sites:
> 1) run IPCONFIG. Do you have an IP address in the same subnet as the
> wireless desktop's wireless interface?
> 2) does IPCONFIG show a Default Gateway address equal to the wireless
> desktop's wireless interface?
> 3) can you PING the wireless desktop's wireless interface? Can you PING
the
> wireless desktop's Internet interface? Can you PING the ISP (run IPCONFIG
> on the wireless desktop and get the address of the Default Gateway).
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> "Robert L [MS-MVP]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > The first question I always ask is if you can ping the web sites. if
not,
> > check the DNS settings first, or post ipconfig /all here.
> > or you can go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net >do-it-yourself tools to do
> the
> > troubleshooting.
> >
> > --
> > For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >
> > Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
> > Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more
> help.
> >
> > Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting
on
> > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
> >
> > "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >I have Win XP Pro and put in a D-Link DWL-G520 wireless PCI card. It
> > > connects ok and can 'see' my network that is established by my D-Link
> > > DI-624 but I cannot get any Internet access from the wireless desktop.
> > > The link status and signal strength is at 100%.
> > > I have unchecked the option of 'Let Windows manage my wireless
> > > connection' because I am using the D-Link wireless configuration
> > > utility. I have also tried checking this option with the same result.
> > >
> > > Any ideas as to what I need to do in order to get Internet access
> > > using the G520 card? I am thinking it is a Win XP setting or
> > > something but.....It is really starting to bug me.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Walter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Walter,

I misunderstood your configuration before. I now understand your
configuration to be a broadband modem connected to the WAN port of the
DI-624, and two computers connected to the DI-624's LAN: one wired to a LAN
port (the main desktop), and one wireless (the wireless desktop) using the
DWL-G520.

The wireless desktop has an IP address in the 169.254.0.0 network. This
range of addresses is used by Microsoft to give an address to an adapter
than fails to obtain an address from a DHCP server (in this case, from the
DI-624). If the wireless desktop had been successful in obtaining an
address from the router, it would have been in the 192.168.0.x range,
probably 192.168.0.101.

With your wireless desktop having an address that's not in the subnet of the
LAN to which it's connected, you will never communicate with anything at the
IP layer. Your wireless desktop failed to obtain an address because it has
not correctly associated with the DI-624, despite the strong signal. You
need to focus your efforts on the Wi-Fi parameters. Is WEP enabled on the
DI-624? Try disabling it until you get a basic wireless connection. I'm
unfamiliar with D-Link's wireless communications utility. You may need to
configure the wireless desktop with the matching SSID that you configured
into the DI-624. Make sure that the wireless desktop is in infrastructure
(not ad-hoc) mode. Infrastructure mode is the mode used with an access
point.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

> [...]
> > the
> > > troubleshooting.
> > >
> > > --
> > > For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > >
> > > Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
> > > Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more
> > help.
> > >
> > > Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting
> on
> > > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
> > >
> > > "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
D-Link

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Ron,

The suggestion by Mike Greene was the key. It was a corrupted winsock.
After running the program Mike referenced and rebooting then all was well
again.
Thank you Mike!!!