[SOLVED] WIn10 and Large USB Drives

Feb 20, 2020
I have two SATA-USB devices that are giving me problems. The first is an old Seagate GoFlex 1 TB drive in a box. It looks to be a 2.5" drive, USB 3.0 I believe.

The other is an even older Apricorn adapter I use a lot. It too is USB 3.0.

The GoFlex and the Apricorn work perfectly on all computers win7. The drive are the 1 TB permanently in the GoFlex box and a new 1 TB SSD WD drive.
As I said, both of these drives using the 2 interfaces work just fine in win7.

When I put them into the win10 boxes they come up in disk management looking just perfect but there is no file system. Running CHKDSK tells me the file system is RAW.

I put them back into the win7 machines and they are of course all OK.

Disk management says they are online, healthy, primary partition, have drive letters, etc. Just no file system.

Using the Apricorn with an older, smaller platter drive (300 GB), it works fine in the win10 boxes. So at least with the Apricorn device, that is working.

Any ideas?

Solution
I have gotten it to work. I had to set up the volume from within diskpart. It would not work from a basic command prompt or from the diskmanagement GUI.

diskpart
list disk
select disk x, x=disk # in the above command's output
clean
create part pri
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign
exit

Disk appears to be exactly right.

With the disk now setup, I can put it in win7, blow out the partition, create/format in win 7, put back into win10 and it works as is. For some reason the disk has to be manually initialized in diskpart for the larger partitions to work on USB in win10.
Feb 20, 2020
I understand, and it is on the to-do list when I get some more disks to move the files off what I have so I can play with it, but I am doing deployments from a disk image and the disks that are created from the image are not working on win 10. I've even taken a freshly formatted win7 NTFS disk and it didn't work, but I have not yet tried the same from win10.

Feb 20, 2020
Try a reformat from Win 10 and see if that fixes the issue.

The drives will not format in win10. I delete volume and recreate, that's ok. I recreate the volume, tell it the drive letter, it creates but says it wasn't formatted. It also says to again assign the the drive letter.

I can assign it E, then when I format from disk management it fails, telling me the disk is offline. Disk management shows the disk as online.

Formatting from an elevated command prompt fails with a bunch of 'incorrect write' errors.

Diskpart shows the disk online, lis vol shows the info for the volume as 'offline'. All flags on both the disk and volume are clear, as shown in diskpart.

In diskpart, online vol gives an error saying the volume could not be put online.

This is exactly what I was seeing when working on two other win10 boxes the other week. I am now at home using a win10 laptop as my testbed.

I tried a 500GB drive on these interfaces and it was fine but the 1 TB ones just will not work.

Feb 20, 2020
I have gotten it to work. I had to set up the volume from within diskpart. It would not work from a basic command prompt or from the diskmanagement GUI.

diskpart
list disk
clean
create part pri
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign
exit

With the disk now setup, I can put it in win7, blow out the partition, create/format in win 7, put back into win10 and it works as is. For some reason the disk has to be manually initialized in diskpart for the larger partitions to work on USB in win10.

Solution

diskpart
list disk
clean
create part pri
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign
exit

That is odd but nice work finding a work around that solves your issue.

TRENDING THREADS