Win10 and Word

ramb41

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I have just installed Windows 10 on my pc which previously had Win 7 as the os. With Win7 I was using MS Word Starter and an old ms Word for word processing. Win 10 does not recognise either. They do not even show up in my installed apps, although they are both installed. I am able to open Word files that are on my HD, but not ones that are on a memory stick. What should I do?

Solution
I solved the problem. The files I was trying to open were very old Word files, which were not recognised by Win 10. The solution is to first open Word Starter app, then in Word Starter open the old Word file. Now it will open. Then save it as a Word Macro-Enabled Document. After that the old file will open directly by double clicking and not having to open Word Starter first. It will still now be opened by Word Strarter, but simply by double clicking on the file without separately opening Word Starter then opening the file.
I can't explain all the other annomalies, but they seem to have disappeared, for the time being.
ramb41

USAFRet

Titan

Did you install the Word application? It is not part of the OS.

ramb41

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
Some more points that must be related, but I can't see how:
- when I put my memory stick into the usb port, my wallpaper on the desktop disappears and is replaced by many dots;
- when I try to open a file on my HD that contains the same info that is on the memory stick, the same thing happens. The wallpaper disappears, and I am unable to open any of the Word documents in the file (however, as I mentioned previously, I can open other Word documents that are directly on my HD).
- The first time this happened, I was able to restore the wallpaper by restarting the pc, but not other times.
- I have Windows 10 and Word Starter on a little netbook that I have, and I have no problem opening the files on the same memory stick, nor do I have any of the other problems.

I'm reasonably computer literate, but I can't figure this one out

ramb41

ramb41

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
It was already installed on my pc when I upgraded to Win 10. After the Win 10 installation, the Word application worked fine opening all Word docs on my HD except those on my memory stick, and those in a duplicate file on my HD.

ramb41

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I solved the problem. The files I was trying to open were very old Word files, which were not recognised by Win 10. The solution is to first open Word Starter app, then in Word Starter open the old Word file. Now it will open. Then save it as a Word Macro-Enabled Document. After that the old file will open directly by double clicking and not having to open Word Starter first. It will still now be opened by Word Strarter, but simply by double clicking on the file without separately opening Word Starter then opening the file.
I can't explain all the other annomalies, but they seem to have disappeared, for the time being.
ramb41

Solution

ramb41

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I can't explain all the other anomalies, but they seem to have disappeared, for the time being.
ramb41