Win10 becomes blind on the network

tfurnivall

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Over the course of an 8 hour day I have completely lost the ability for my Win 10 machine to make contact with other devices on the network. No updates took place, but the WIn10 machine suddenly can not see the Homegroup (still exists for the other device) or the other device (a Surface Pro running Win8.1).

Somewhat bizarrely, the Surface Pro can still see, access and modify the data on the Win10 machine, even though it is invisible to the WIn10 machine. It can also print to the printer on the Win10 machine.

I've restarted both machines but nothing changes. I've deleted the Homegroup from both machines, and rebuilt it (starting on the Surface Pro. Win10 initially recognizes the Homegroup but is unable to connect to it. Then announces that there is no Homegroup on the network.

Any ideas? I know Win10 has networking issues, but it was working fine for 6 of the 8 hours, and then quietly disappeared.

Tony

PS I've Unchecked the Solutions only button - I'd love to know if anybody has ideas about what's going on!

Colif

Win 11 Master
i had something similar when i clean installed win 10 in February, I originally had a homegroup set up on my pc before the install. Afterwards, I couldn't join the old group as I didn't know password, but mums pc was still on the old network all by itself. I had to leave the old network on mum's pc and make a new one on that machine instead, and then enter password on my pc. Not sure what we do next time :)

this might help: http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/62176-homegroup-not-working.html#post557185