[SOLVED] win10 boots fine but crawls after some time (with internet access almost cut off)

asinsh

Prominent
Nov 24, 2018
I have a relatively new and relatively high end HP desktop (vintage 2019) and recently it's become wanky. It boots and works fine but after a while (an hour or so) becomes sluggish and some programs freeze up, and google chrome has a hard time connecting to sites and finishing page download. Task manager does not show any unusual performance issues.

I do not run much on this pc (mostly google chrome, MS office including outlook, paperport, bestnotes and dashlane).

I am worried that I have a virus or malware that is commandeering the internet connection, but malwarebytes and mcaffee scans show no issues. Any advice on what I should look at? And if I decide to reinstall windows 10 to be safe, can I do that without a windows cd (e.g. using reset)? If so, and if I select to do a full install without saving files, will that likely eliminate any malware or virus I may have?

Solution
Your HP should have a recovery partition that would reset it back to factory specifications, that's your last resort as you will loose all your data that was not backed up.

If you have created restore points on your hard drive, you can recover the system back to a time before it started hanging. Control Panel-->System-->System Protection. Your data will remain but any software installed since that time will not.
Feb 1, 2020
Your HP should have a recovery partition that would reset it back to factory specifications, that's your last resort as you will loose all your data that was not backed up.

If you have created restore points on your hard drive, you can recover the system back to a time before it started hanging. Control Panel-->System-->System Protection. Your data will remain but any software installed since that time will not.

Solution