[SOLVED] Win10 Cannot share folders over network - can't see own icon

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I just finished building a new Windows 10 workstation. Most things have gone OK, but I am unable to share folders and the workstation over the network.
I have been able to share my folders if I manually connect to the machine's IP address and type its address, but then it won't accept the account password, even though I am positive it's correct.

One workaround I found has been to login using an alternate account I created at the beginning, so if I add that user to the shared directories and login using that username and password, I am in.

One problem is that with the current User I am also limited in what I can see. For instance, my wireless canon AIO printer scanner is invisible. Especially the scanner.

I have tried most of the procedures I could find online and nothing worked.
For the sake of giving a better picture, here is how my windows installation went:

1. Installed windows 10 using my microsoft account (at least I thought so) "user@outlook.com
  2. I then discovered that the account was not connected to microsoft and was a local account (for some reason).
  3. That became a mute point when my computer crashed and that user account lost the ability to interact with the Start menu, taskbar, etc.
  4. The solution to that was to create a new account. Using the same email I connected it to my Microsoft account and created the new user.
  5. That resolved the broken start menu issue and I continued installing programs and configuring the account.
  6. Then I shared the folders I use for my work and play and there I first encountered the issue.
  7. Under "Network" the computer is invisible. I can see LDAP media shares, my Roku, etc. but I cannot see my own computer.
  8. When I tried logging in through my laptop I had to enter my computer network IP address and the name of the shared folder. It worked but it would not take the password (which I am 100% sure is correct).
  9. I switched to the other user on a whim and by entering username and password I was in. Now I have access to every folder where I added the alternate account as having access.

So, I now have limited access, but still I am unable to see my scanner and I have to manually connect to my computer to see shared folders. Also, it is upsetting that Windows Networking is such a mess. I am not trying to launch a rocket, I am just trying to connect a network like I have been doing for 30 years. Actually, launching rockets was a lot easier when I did it in the Army 30 years ago (good times).

If anyone has experience in this regard, I could really use some help. Also, I was planning to delete the initial extra account I created, but now since it's the only account that gives me networking it looks like I have to drag it along like a ball and chain. (And, BTW, now the account works again, no more broken start menu).

Thank you for your consideration.

Solution
I found (sort of) a solution that works for me. It works on the machine itself and on my laptop:
I simply typed the machine name like this:
\\MY-DESKTOP

and bingo, I am inside.
I took that and placed it into the "Quick Access" area in Windows Explorer (and also in Directory Opus, the app I use in place of Windows Explorer) and it works.
It's not ideal, I'd like to see my computer show up among the others in the network, but it means now I can navigate to it.

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I guess at some point I will. Using my alternate user for sharing is not so hard and it works as far as I need sharing. I can get in from my iPad, iPhone, my other laptop, etc.
That's pretty much all I need sharing for.
It even works well with my Hyper-V virtual machine, so I am pretty happy as far as that goes.
I was just wondering if there was some sort of fix that did not involve a new windows installation.
I install a fresh windows every 6 months or so, IO'll make sure to follow precise instructions then, but for now it works. Not ideal but it works.

The only real solution for borked windows is a reinstall. But if someone else has had this exact same thing happen, they may have a solution. I'd do a lot of research online and see if anyone has documented a fix. It will take a while to figure out the exact keywords to get you good results, but I've found that once you do that, you'll hit gold. :)

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I found (sort of) a solution that works for me. It works on the machine itself and on my laptop:
I simply typed the machine name like this:
\\MY-DESKTOP

and bingo, I am inside.
I took that and placed it into the "Quick Access" area in Windows Explorer (and also in Directory Opus, the app I use in place of Windows Explorer) and it works.
It's not ideal, I'd like to see my computer show up among the others in the network, but it means now I can navigate to it.

Solution