[SOLVED] Win10 clean install, partition questions

NightPower

Honorable
Nov 20, 2014
Hi. I am running Windows 10 Pro on a HDD and have two SSD's in my system, a 512GB and a 1TB. I want to move the OS on one of them, the 512GB, but I want to do a fresh install. The HDD is a 1TB WD Blue Caviar that has 3 partitions, C, F and H. I want to use the HDD too after to store my files. I want to partition the SSD in two, C and another, preferably F, figured I'll keep more stuff on it besides the OS.
My question is, how do I delete Windows and the partitions off the HDD after I install it on the SSD and use it as main boot drive. I want the HDD to have a single 932GB partition. Also, will it cause any conflicts because of the letters, since both drives will have at least the C partition in common at first.

Last edited:
Solution
There is no need for separate partitions on the SSD...; merely having another folder on it for storage will do...

remove all drives except the 512 GB SSD you wish to install WIndows to, and install it. then, then power off, connect the old drive, but, make sure the BIOS has the new drive selected as the boot device...

Then, assuming you are finished retrieving any data you need from the spinning drive, delete the spinning drive's partitions, and quick format it to desired configuration via admin tools/computer mngmt/storage/disk mngmt
There is no need for separate partitions on the SSD...; merely having another folder on it for storage will do...

remove all drives except the 512 GB SSD you wish to install WIndows to, and install it. then, then power off, connect the old drive, but, make sure the BIOS has the new drive selected as the boot device...

Then, assuming you are finished retrieving any data you need from the spinning drive, delete the spinning drive's partitions, and quick format it to desired configuration via admin tools/computer mngmt/storage/disk mngmt

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
512GB SSD - OS, applications, and a single partition
1TB - A single partition.

With a fresh install on the 512, you do that with only that drive connected.

Later, you reconnect the old drive, and wipe it clean. All partitions, leaving one blank space.
Use as desired.

NightPower

Honorable
Nov 20, 2014
I have Windows 10 OEM and I wasn't sure how it would react if I had the OS on both drives, but I realize now it shouldn't matter since it does not boot both at the same time. The HDD is ready to be wiped, I have copied everything on it onto the 2nd ssd. Thank you for the replies.