Win10 Compact GUI Compression

Conroy1988

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2014
Ok so i've been using Compact GUI - http://

I've noticed even when I save big amounts of space due to the compression, windows 10 doesn't actually recognise the space saved when i go into my computer.

For example, I took "Ark survival evolved", which sat at 113 gig, i compressed it down with x16 compression, and i saved 52gig.

Before compression my gaming ssd drive, "X" shown 89gig free.
After compression, it still shows 89 gig free.

I also tried this on my other drive which has games i play every so often, it's a hybrid firecuda, an example here was Elder Scrolls online, reduced in size by 16gig, but the drive still shows the old values before compression.

Does anyone know what or why this is happening?

Solution
I got nothing until I can test it on Windows 10.

I know windows 7 takes MORE space while compressing then frees most of it, but it fluctuates quite a bit as files are decompressed to be used.
If a game has many small files it may be a leftover that will clear up with time.

I actually tried compression some files with the Windows 7 compact(not as feature filled as Win10s version) and honestly for lots of small files it showed smaller(folder properties), but actually took MORE space(free disk space decreased).

I am not 100% sure if these compressed files are extracted as required causing more space consumption(compressed + decompressed).

I noticed that in Windirstat portable the extra space was shown as unknown(Some of it will come from other reasons as well). Turning off compression gave it back(I decided to just leave it off for anything I use more often because it has to be doing some uncompromising/re compressing when files change.). With only 16 gigabyte of ram, it can not be doing this without some kind of drive space.

Conroy1988

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2014

Hmm i see, whats really odd however, is that when i go into say for example, the arkfolders properties, it shows as Size on Disk, 67.1GB

Size 112gb

This is making no sense, it's like it reads its old file size, yet knows what its actual file size is, as if its reading purely through windows its old size.

Only thing I have seen that may clear this up is a disk check[chkdsk](test on a ramdisk). You may have to run it on system startup if this is your system drive.

I still think some kind of space get used for decompression. This makes compression very good for less used files, but less so for often used because they are always decompressed to use.

Conroy1988

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2014

chkdsk was one of the first things i tired, and all is well, no errors, totally confused.