Win10 crashes to a random solid color after logging in.

mecurt78

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Just like the title says, and I've got no idea why it's happening. Something like this did happen to me once before, but I can't remember what I did to fix it.

I've been away from home for 10 days, and I figured that it'd be relaxing to play some games once I got home. I get home and start my computer up from sleep mode and start out with some Mount and Blade: Warband. What was odd was that the game refused to launch through Steam, and I had to open the game folder and launch the .exe file directly. I then watched YouTube for a few hours before trying to launch some more games, reaching the same result. I then shut down all my processes before restarting my system, hoping that would fix it. Once the restart was completed and I logged in again, the screen crashed to a solid color. Not blue, just a random pastel color. I started my system in safe mode and ran a couple virus scans which turned up with nothing (although the full scan ended up cutting itself off, which always makes me nervous). I tried to update my graphics drivers very quickly, but Geforce Experience can't do it before the system crashes. Every time I start my computer up, I log in and I then have about twenty seconds before my screens will just display a random color, different for each monitor.

It might be worth noting that when I restarted my computer the first time, the system started applying some updates. I also run a dual-monitor setup.

Specs:

Case: Cooler Master HAF X Blue
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-WS
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780ti
Hard Drive: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB SSD
Secondary HD: WD 2TB 7200 RPM
Power Supply: Not entirely sure, I believe some 850W.

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow that has served me faithfully for several years
Mouse: Logitech G502

Anybody know how I can fix this?