Question WIN10 failed some update, all options don't work.

ricpaul

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2014
Not my laptop. Update stuck at 7%, left alone for a day, but never finishes.

Used installation media to explore options to reverse the update: they failed. Used a previous updatepoint to revert to, also failed. Whatever options available from the installation media (bar reinstalling) all failed, as in: windows could not succesfully complete the actions. (Edit: made a photo of one of the messages: systemrestore failed while copying from the restorepoint, Error 0x80070570)

Used command prompt (from within USB-installationmedia) to get windows10 to start up in safe mode with networking: works fine apart from NOT having any network (using UTP cable). Opening Edge: it doesn't open. Opening Chrome: it seems to open for 1/10th of a second and closes again. Status connection: it says it has internet connetion but it shows the "globe" symbol which normally indicates NO internet. Access "windows update" in safemode (from HDD): get some stack overflow message. Pending updates shows nothing.

Tried check disk (not commandprompt but via properties of the HDD) from within safemode: disk does not have to be checked. When I still want it checked, it comes back with a window that it found errors and that I should fix them (I just ordered "you" (the computer) to just do this so blood boiling at this point...). Ran chkdsk /f from administrator commandprompt and took a couple of minutes with some error (value botmap is incorrect, a googlesearch didn't reveal this to be a very problematic issue, might be wrong though).

As so often when I try to solve an issue: every solution I find online doesn't work for me. 0x80070570 error has some solutions in the link: but I can't get internet, so no downloading. Can't retry the update (in safemode) as it doesn't work. Check your harddrive: fails in safemode, etc.

Once again at my wits end here. Dozens of things I tried that I (stupidly) didn't write down, like take out the HDD to copy some files that were being worked on (but unfortunately not performing a checkdisk on it) and manually delete updatefiles (this link, point 7: tried stopping update: "windows update service isn't running", 8 deleted files but not subdirectories, didn't change anything).

I was correct when I decided in the early 80's that me and software don't get along too well...

ricpaul

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2014
Followup with things I try and their results.
from installationmedia/commandprompt: sfc /scannow : "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"
Running chkdsk /f /r /x C: now. One bad-sector added to bad sector pool (or something similar).

Think I am once again going to give up, put in an SSD (instead of the 1TB SSHD) and just reinstall WIN10.

Scanned the SSHD from the computer with an external housing and windows said the disk was OK. Used Crystaldisk info and it gave a "waarschuwing" (WARNING) because of "Huidig Wachtende Sectoren" (Presently waiting sectors?). So may have something to do with the chkdsk adding ONE bad sector to a file or pool, or the bad sectors might be the reason for all problems and the disk is actually dying...

R4BqQtL.png

Last edited: