[SOLVED] Win10 install issue

Jan 7, 2021
Hi guys,

Currently working on a Toshiba L300D for a client who wants to get it upgraded to use during lockdown. Goes to 4gb ram and has a x64 athlon so was going to do the usual upgrade, 4gb, ssd, win10. Haven't got the Ram delivered yet but I thought the 2gb installed would be enough for the os install until they arrived. The issue I'm getting is during the os install, during the install process the laptop just shuts down.
My thinking at the moment is either cpu overheat or ram issue so I've cleaned up the cpu and re-applied some new paste and wait for the ram. Any other ideas whilst I'm waiting?

Solution
Finland cracked it..mostly..lol
Only 1 of the new ram modules is accepted, tried everything, cannot get both mods to work. Fan issue resolved, was a jam. Found out the shut down issue too, the battery wasn't connected during windows install, as soon as I connected it, that was done too. So all sorted aside from having 3gb ram instead of 4gb can win them all i suppose....
Does the laptop shuts down on AC power, battery or both?
How hot is the bottom of the laptop or the keyboard when installing Windows?
Does the laptop works fine when it is just idle in the BIOS screen?
Is the fan spinning up during Windows setup?

Jan 15, 2021
Hi guys,

Currently working on a Toshiba L300D for a client who wants to get it upgraded to use during lockdown. Goes to 4gb ram and has a x64 athlon so was going to do the usual upgrade, 4gb, ssd, win10. Haven't got the Ram delivered yet but I thought the 2gb installed would be enough for the os install until they arrived. The issue I'm getting is during the os install, during the install process the laptop just shuts down.
My thinking at the moment is either cpu overheat or ram issue so I've cleaned up the cpu and re-applied some new paste and wait for the ram. Any other ideas whilst I'm waiting?

Has to be CPU overheating, or could be damage to the motherboard or corrupt windows 10 installation files.

Reactions: Gforce77i
Jan 7, 2021
Not hot at all. Laptop fine in idle bios and fan spinning. Only once it goes into windows install and files start installing, can get to around 60% then kaput.

Jan 7, 2021
Gave it a good clean anyway once I opened her up to paste the cpu. Power is fine, fan is spinning. I've downloaded bootable win10 again just in case and will wait for the ram and let you know.

Jan 7, 2021
Has to be CPU overheating, or could be damage to the motherboard or corrupt windows 10 installation files.
One thing after another with this laptop!
Ram arrived yesterday, placed them in, no power up. Checked they were seated properly but still same. Took one new mod out and and left new one along with old mod in, nothing, just power light, startup light but nothing else. Placed both prev modules back in and attempted restart, laptop started but fan not spinning so hard shut down.
Where am I going wrong?

Jan 7, 2021
One thing after another with this laptop Nope!
Ram arrived today, placed them in, no power up. Checked they were eaten properly but still same. Took one mod and and left new one along with old mod in, nothing, just power light, startup light but nothing else. Placed both prev modules back in and attempted restart, laptop started but fan not spinning so hard shut down.
Where am I going wrong?

One thing after another with this laptop Nope!
Anything could be expected of a 12 years old laptop.
By the way, was the laptop working fine before you decide to upgrade it?

Ram arrived today, placed them in, no power up. Checked they were eaten properly but still same. Took one mod and and left new one along with old mod in, nothing, just power light, startup light but nothing else. Placed both prev modules back in and attempted restart, laptop started but fan not spinning so hard shut down.
Where am I going wrong?
Did you get one 4GB module or 2x 2GB modules?
What's the model of the RAM?

Jan 7, 2021

2x2gb mods, specification down to the letter. I tried installing them, it won't even come on, just power light. I put the old 2x1gb modules back it comes on but fan not spinning. When I tried to install Windows prev it just shut down I presume due to cpu temp. I dissembled then clean and re-applied paste to cpu, still no fan. Fan connected fine too.

Jan 7, 2021
2x2gb mods, specification down to the letter. I tried installing them, it won't even come on, just power light. I put the old 2x1gb modules back it comes on but fan not spinning. When I tried to install Windows prev it just shut down I presume due to cpu temp. I dissembled then clean and re-applied paste to cpu, still no fan. Fan connected fine too.
Yes was working previously but was too slow to do anything with. Couldn't even recover files that way, had to sata the files out.

Jan 7, 2021

2x Kingston KTH-ZD8000B/2G 1.8V 2GB 667Mhz 200 PIN SODIMM PC2-5300 4GB DDR2 K10

Jan 7, 2021
Jan 7, 2021
Try these steps
Power off, unplug power cord, remove battery.
Press power button for 20 seconds.
Install the new RAM , plug power cord and power on
Yeah did this previously. I think the number one issue firstly is the fan not spinning.. I've dissembled and checked all connections again, all OK. Did an open case startup with new ram, hardrive spun, light came on but no screen and no fan then cuts out by itself. Installed old modules, laptop started, screen started but no fan, again cuts out by itself.
Grrrrrrr

Jan 7, 2021
So I've got half way. Fan is back and spinning, small piece of plastic jammed inside prevented it from spinning. Sorted.
Now, screen is still blank with old ram and new ram. I've tried reseating etc but still blank. System is on and fan spinning with no cutout so half a success...lol

Jan 7, 2021
Finland cracked it..mostly..lol
Only 1 of the new ram modules is accepted, tried everything, cannot get both mods to work. Fan issue resolved, was a jam. Found out the shut down issue too, the battery wasn't connected during windows install, as soon as I connected it, that was done too. So all sorted aside from having 3gb ram instead of 4gb can win them all i suppose....

Solution