Question Win10 installer doesn't see SSD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 1 year old HP 24 all in one model dp1056qe that I am trying to install a fresh copy of Win10 on. 256gig nvme SSD shows up in BIOS as well as the sata 1tb storage drive. Machine shipped with both drives.

Downloaded the MediaCreationTool and built an install USB. When I boot into the Win10 installer it won't find the 256gig nvme SSD or the 1tb drive. Removed the 1tb drive as a precaution and tried again. No dice.

Ran diskpart and nothing shows except the USB install drive.

Reset BIOS to defaults and also pulled CMOS batt for 5 min. Same result...nothing but the USB disk shows up in diskpart.

Figured the SSD may be bad so pulled it and installed a brand new WD SN550 nvme drive, but same result, Win10 won't detect the new SSD either, and nothing in diskpart except USB install disk.

Downloaded another Win10 iso using MediaCreationTool and built install disk on new USB drive. No change.

Put the 256gig nvme drive back in and booted up a Linux Mint install off a USB drive and it finds the nvme drive and installs no problem.

Any suggestions ? Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Have a 1 year old HP 24 all in one model dp1056qe that I am trying to install a fresh copy of Win10 on. 256gig nvme SSD shows up in BIOS as well as the sata 1tb storage drive. Machine shipped with both drives.

Downloaded the MediaCreationTool and built an install USB. When I boot into the Win10 installer it won't find the 256gig nvme SSD or the 1tb drive. Removed the 1tb drive as a precaution and tried again. No dice.

Reset BIOS to defaults and also pulled CMOS batt for 5 min. Same result...nothing but the USB disk shows up in diskpart.

Figured the SSD may be bad so pulled it and installed a brand new WD SN550 nvme drive, but same result, Win10 won't detect the new SSD either, and nothing in diskpart except USB install disk.

Downloaded another Win10 iso using MediaCreationTool and built install disk on new USB drive. No change.

Put the 256gig nvme drive back in and booted up a Linux Mint install off a USB drive and it finds the nvme drive and installs no problem.

A test.
If the bios is set to raid set it to ahci.
If the bios is set to ahci set it to raid.

Jul 27, 2021
Can you completly wipe the drive with Linux? Maybe try to install the correct drivers before install (When choosing the Disk to install on). If its showing in the BIOS, it might be a windows problem.

If you remove the USB install drive, does your 256gig nvme still show in the BIOS? How about your 1tb storage drive? Have you tried a different USB port?

Can you completly wipe the drive with Linux? Maybe try to install the correct drivers before install (When choosing the Disk to install on). If its showing in the BIOS, it might be a windows problem.

Wiped both drives with Linux Mint since the files on them were already backed up. Windows10 installer still doesn't see them.

If you remove the USB install drive, does your 256gig nvme still show in the BIOS? How about your 1tb storage drive? Have you tried a different USB port?

Tried 4 different USB ports as well as two brand new USB drives. The nvme and 1tb sata drive both show in the BIOS with and without USB drives installed on the various ports.

I assumed from the start this was some sort of Windows driver issue so I tried downloading two different sets of Intel Rapid Storage drivers and tried to load them but the Windows installer says no compatible hardware found. The BIOS already has the 18.0 version of the IRS driver installed. I don't see any options in the BIOS to disable IRS.

Did u wipe them with "Wipefs" or just repartition the drives?

I have very little knowledge of the internal workings of Linux. I installed Linux Mint more or less only because I read online that others having similar issues with the Windows10 installer were able to do so. Anything done to the 256g nvme drive was completely automatic and done by the Linux Mint install routine. I did use Linux to delete the partion on the 1tb drive and created I believe an ext4 partition on it. What is Wipefs and what does it do ?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
are you installing in UEFI or Legacy mode? HP laptops need to be installed in Legacy mode

it isn't a windows driver problem if the installer can't even see the drives. It has no drivers running during installation.

are you installing in UEFI or Legacy mode? HP laptops need to be installed in Legacy mode

it isn't a windows driver problem if the installer can't even see the drives. It has no drivers running during installation.

Sorry for the slow reply.

The HP All-in-one only allows UEFI as far as I can tell there is no Legacy support even available in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.