[SOLVED] WIN10 ISO download wiped my data - need to recover - anybody know how ?

Oct 3, 2019
Followed the instructions in the article – downloaded it to my “e” drive (external) – did not hit setup or execute anything (at least I am 99.9% sure i didn't)…………..now that drive has been renamed all my stuff is gone….WTH? from what I’ve read this action is non-recoverable – anybody out there experience that ?? is there a way I can recover my data ?
gotta admit I’m pretty steamed over this…..below is the article

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-away-a-clean-copy-of-win10-version-1903.html

Thank you in advance

USAFRet

Titan
If you use the MediaCreation tool to create a bootable Win 10 installer...yes, it reformats and wipes out everything on the target drive.

It warns you of this twice.

From the website where you start the process:
"A blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted."

And then again when you run it and select which drive.

Oct 3, 2019
If you use the MediaCreation tool to create a bootable Win 10 installer...yes, it reformats and wipes out everything on the target drive.

It warns you of this twice.

From the website where you start the process:
"A blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted."

And then again when you run it and select which drive.

I think I explained my issue wrong - I didn't create anything - I downloaded it - I don't remember ANYTHING saying it would delete anything (I am not saying you're wrong BUT I would have stopped had a warning like that been displayed) - It was a 320 gb drive and now it reads 32gb - I used the built in disk drive tool and can it's 88% unallocated - if the data is gone then well that sucks but it's gone BUT if there's a chance I can get it back then I need to give a try - I'll check out the minitool and see if it works or not - thanks for the reply -

USAFRet

Titan
"downloaded it"
What 'it'?

If you followed the website you linked, and did Step 2...that is specifically what you did.
The drive being seen as 32GB specifically results from running that tool to create a bootable Win 10 install.

USAFRet

Titan
And not to beat a dead horse, but when you run that tool as outlined in Step 2 from your link, you go through here:
ZXalfUu.jpg