Question Win10 laptop won't recognize 2nd monitor - "Display 2 isn't active"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citysurvivor

Reputable
May 22, 2017
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble with a 2nd monitor on my laptop.

TLDR: It's most likely a driver problem with my laptop. Updating drivers doesn't fix it, however.

My HP Pavilion laptop (link to specs) won't recognize my 2nd monitor (link to specs) when I plug it in. I have tried multiple displays but the laptop always says "Display 2 isn't active" in the advanced display options. The monitors say "no video input", and in Device Manager, the 2nd monitor shows up as a "Generic PNP Monitor".

Things I've tried:
  • Pressing the Windows key + P shortcut to use the Project menu - No change.
  • Restarting and unplugging the monitor and laptop from the wall - No change.
  • Unplugging everything from my laptop except the monitor and then rebooting - No change.
  • Uninstalling the monitor's driver in Device Manager and then restarting (to auto-reinstall the driver) - No change.
  • Going to Windows update, opening "optional updates", and installing all the display and monitor-related driver updates - No change.
Note: I use a HDMI-to-VGA adapter to connect my laptop's HDMI port to the monitor's VGA port. I know that the adapter, cables, and monitor work because they worked instantly on another Win10 PC when I plugged them in. So it seems like my laptop is the culprit.

I'm really stuck on this one. Hopefully you guys can help me out!

Last edited:

Citysurvivor

Reputable
May 22, 2017
Try restarting the laptop, then plug in the monitor see if it recognizes it, if not restart and see if it shows up then.
Restarting and unplugging the monitor and laptop from the wall - No change.

I have already tried this step. The monitor doesn't work (says "no video input"), but it does show up in Device manager with the name "Generic PNP Monitor".

In advanced display opions, Windows says "Display 2 isn't active (image). I cannot enable display 2 in the settings.

rodconroy

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Similar problem. Laptop won't detect the external monitor. The HDMI cable is good, the monitor is good. I can plug into a TV via HDMI and it works fine, but not to the monitor. I have also done the plug/unplug, restart, updates...etc.

Asus VivoBook, 10th gen core i7, 12GB RAM running Win 10 Home x64
Monitor: Acer, 32in backlit, model ED322Q A

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS