[SOLVED] Win10 Nvidia 1080ti Hard Crash

GetJammin

Honorable
Jun 20, 2015
I recently bought Far Cry 5. While playing the game, my computer occasionally crashes, sometimes 30 minutes in, sometimes an hour and a half. Instant power failure, (Event ID 41), and after half a second, an automatic restart. My initial thought was that it was due to the strain on the PSU, as I recently (within the past year I think), upgraded from a NVIDIA 1080 to a 1080ti, and that maybe the extra wattage was above my 650w PSU capability.

I tried to recreate this crash outside of Far Cry 5 and managed to do it when running FurMark. I ran one test, and when that one worked without a flaw, I started another, and it crashed almost immediately. I noticed also when playing Far Cry 5, these crashes happen when the display changes suddenly. For example, an explosion that appears and obscures my vision at close range, or one time where I opened the menu, closed it, then opened it again quickly, resulting in a crash.

Below I have linked my components, but to give a quick rundown: X99-Deluxe II, NVIDIA 1080ti, EVGA 650P2.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtazzxrznh7mlhx/Components.txt?dl=0

I have looked through similar threads and seen that my issue most likely lies with my GPU or PSU. Has anyone had a similar issue? If so, what fixed it?

Also, my GPU driver and BIOS are both up to date as of the time of this post.

Thanks

Solution
Briefly: I had a R9 290 died (it ran at like 95*C, cooked itself), then Phoenix 1080 GLH died shortly with barely any use, then went to a 1080ti (2 years ago) at which point also upgraded the PSU (Aerocool Project7 850W). I got a crap load of restarts when GPU/PSU were underload, refunded that PSU , bought another one (Seasonc 650W Plat iirc) and all good.

see my old post to another forum here : https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/new-pre-built-pc-crashing-no-bsod.18817081/#post-31778608

during that time I went to the geforce thread :

Anyway the 1080ti draws more power and is temperamental with PSUs...
Jun 3, 2020
Briefly: I had a R9 290 died (it ran at like 95*C, cooked itself), then Phoenix 1080 GLH died shortly with barely any use, then went to a 1080ti (2 years ago) at which point also upgraded the PSU (Aerocool Project7 850W). I got a crap load of restarts when GPU/PSU were underload, refunded that PSU , bought another one (Seasonc 650W Plat iirc) and all good.

see my old post to another forum here : https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/new-pre-built-pc-crashing-no-bsod.18817081/#post-31778608

during that time I went to the geforce thread :

Anyway the 1080ti draws more power and is temperamental with PSUs (the geforce forums I looked up at that time mention to put your PSU to single rail output where possible).

If you are unable to do that (like me), got to drop the whole PSU and go with another one.

Test with another PSU first and see if it restarts.

Solution

GetJammin

Honorable
Jun 20, 2015
So I sent my NVIDIA 1080ti back and sent a replacement, yet the crashes are still happening. I'm still working on getting a higher watt PSU, and I'm hoping that will fix it, otherwise, I'll be at a loss.

GetJammin

Honorable
Jun 20, 2015
I replaced my EVGA 650 platinum with a Corsair HXi 850 platinum about a week ago and I have had no crashes while gaming since. At this point, I think it's safe to say the PSU was the source of the problems, either due to lower than necessary wattage or some defect.