Question Win10 & Office Reinstall

McGene

Prominent
Apr 13, 2020
Just joined the forum and hope those with experience can keep me from making a major/costly mistake.

I have a desktop PC that a friend and I build back in 2008. It still runs well, but I would like to upgrade the motherboard and cpu and add a larger SSD. I'm fine with the case, power supply and graphics card. I don't do gaming -- mostly office work, some photo post processing and web research.

I've linked my Windows 10 to my MS Account (it's an OEM version) and my MS Office 2019 is an OEM version as well. I've also created a windows boot up USB using the MS creation tool and all my data is backed up to an external HD.

I've read as much as I can at the MS site -- but, I'm still a bit confused whether I will experience a major failure and need to purchase another copy of windows and office.

In you opinion, will I be able to reinstall windows on a new SSD and reload Office?

Thanks for your time to reply.

as long as both Windows & Office software suite are tied to your user account, you will be able to reinstall them on a new machine.

once you have Windows installed again it will ask you to sign-in with your user account. then it determines what system you are operating from. the previous setup will be removed from the account and the new one will be tied to it.
if any issue with account verification arises, contacting MS support directly should easily have it resolved.

MS Office works in a similar way. it is tied to your Microsoft Store account. when you sign-in to the MS Store it will have your library of Store apps available to re-download/install.
to verify it is tied to your Store account;
open the MS Store app, click on My Library in the user menu, and verify that it is listed.

McGene

Prominent
Apr 13, 2020
Thanks, John. I'll check my account.
Of course, neither WIN10 or Office are retail purchases. WIN10 was an upgrade from 7 when it was free to do so. I recently purchased and OEM versions of Office and downloaded it. Hope they are both legitimate :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have transfered a key to a new build that started as an OEM win 7 key. so long as it was tied to an account, then it reactivated on the new build.

i do upgrades and rebuilds for a living and have moved win 10 to new mobo/cpu combos more times than i can count. maybe 5% of the time do i have to contact MS and get them involved. usually just works from the MS account, but sometimes you have to contact ms. but most likely will work fine.

as for the office install, reinstall it with the same media and use the same key and it should work like it did before. if not, again, contact MS and they'll get it going for you. usually just have to verify the key and it's good to go.

McGene

Prominent
Apr 13, 2020
So, I logged into my MS Account -- I don't see any software associated with my motherboard. Under devices, I found my PC listed -- but no software.

McGene

Prominent
Apr 13, 2020
Actually, next to my PC , it does show Windows 10. When I click on it, it simply says it's up to date. There is no record of my 2019 Office software.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't think office ties to your ms account.

the key that came with it should work once it's reinstalled. been doing that for years with all the office versions.

only time it gets tied to your account is if you bought it from ms store, then it goes into that library. but buying it on a disk with a key is like old times. reinstall and put the key back in and it'll be good to go.

the OS software isn't shown as tied to any device on your account page. it is just tied to your MS account. the machine(s) you access it from gets registered in the same way.
So, I logged into my MS Account -- I don't see any software associated with my motherboard. Under devices, I found my PC listed -- but no software
MS Office is tied to your Microsoft Store profile, which in turn is tied to your Microsoft Account webpage. you can access the info and download/install through the Windows 10 Microsoft Store app.
or
Once you have purchased Office, you can install it from the Services & subscriptions section of your Microsoft Account page.
For further assistance with downloading, installing, reinstalling, or activating Office, and/or more guidance on Office updates, see this article in Office Support.

if it's an OEM version tied to a pre-built system, the key that came with it may not be transferable to a new device. you would have to check with MS support.

Office 365 & Office 2019 do not come in physical copy(CD/DVD) versions. you purchase a key to register it, not the actual software.
and if you download it from somewhere other than from Microsoft, you are using a pirated copy.
this is illegal and Tom's Hardware doesn't support any type of pirate discussions. you will be banned from this site if it is acknowledged by moderators.

McGene

Prominent
Apr 13, 2020
Whooops! I didn't realize that my copy of MS Office was not legal. I was under the impression that like Windows 10 OEM license purchased online, Office was similar. I did receive a valid 25-digit key and the installation went smoothly.
Guess, this may be my last post, since it sounds like I will be banned from this site. Sorry, folks, I had no idea.

McGene

Prominent
Apr 13, 2020
I went to a site that offered the software. After purchase, I was sent a download link along with a key. I was told if at any time I need to reinstall the software, I would need to use the same download link. I checked to see if the link was still valid -- and it was -- so, I'm assuming as you mentioned, John, that the link is tied to MS servers.
I'm not trying to cheat anyone or use illegal software -- I just wanted to update my old 2008 PC and needed to know if I would be required to buy new software. Frankly, I'm beginning to think it's not worth the hassle. I guess the saying might apply to me "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no problem. you won't get banned for making a mistake like that. we've all done it.

the red flag there was being required to use their download link. normally you just get the key and go to ms itself to download it. but at least you fixed that issue and are not legit :)