[SOLVED] Win10 Pro 100% Disk Usage With Over 1.5TB Free HD Space?

startropic1

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 -bit on a Core i5 with 16GB RAM, and two 2TB SATA HDDs. (not SSDs) I'm having very bad performance and it seems the issue is that I'm seeing 100% Disk Usage in task manager.....but I have over 1.5TB free on the HDD in question (which does host my Win10 install)?
I don't have very much running at all, OneDrive, Skype, Cortana, SuperFetch, and Windows Search are all disabled. I cannot pinpoint the service/process that is causing the 100% Disk Usage

Reactions: nguyennah
Solution
Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = Ram + page file usage
Working set = actual ram usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click processes, and run an av scan from within the program.

You want to look at Private bytes as that is what is most likely to show page file usage. I assume thats what it is

what brand are the drives?
I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 -bit on a Core i5 with 16GB RAM, and two 2TB SATA HDDs. (not SSDs) I'm having very bad performance and it seems the issue is that I'm seeing 100% Disk Usage in task manager.....but I have over 1.5TB free on the HDD in question (which does host my Win10 install)?
I don't have very much running at all, OneDrive, Skype, Cortana, SuperFetch, and Windows Search are all disabled. I cannot pinpoint the service/process that is causing the 100% Disk Usage
Just to have a look under the hood.
Run this..........Speccy - Free Download
Read this and post a link to the speccy............Speccy...publish

startropic1

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
Do you have some sort of network file sharing set up?
When this high disk usage happens task manager does not show some app that's busy?
When this happens open the resource monitor see if it shows a clue.

Run this and post a link............. PC Benchmark
I do use Universal Media Server (java program), sometimes I have trouble sharing media natively.

I should clarify one thing: In task manager in the processes tab it will show disk % in normal range (like 17% or so), it's in the Performance tab that I see the 100% disk usage on my OS drive. So that's where I have trouble pinpointing the problem. The performance tab doesn't exactly get into app specifics.
I'll run the benchmark program and reply with more info.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = Ram + page file usage
Working set = actual ram usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click processes, and run an av scan from within the program.

You want to look at Private bytes as that is what is most likely to show page file usage. I assume thats what it is

what brand are the drives?

Solution