[SOLVED] Win10 Pro 64 (new retail) will not install on new Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 drive.

Jan 7, 2020
Win10 Pro current build will not install on this drive, says it requires a newer format. What format is it? How do I format the drive? Will Win10 Pro format it using a command after "format"? If so, what command? New build, retail Win10 Pro 64, new components. UEFI bios sees all drives but cannot access them because the Samssung 970 M.2 drives require a new format. What is it? And how do I get a tool with which to install it? Thanks. Very, very frustrating! As we all know, 'without the software it is just a big dumb paperweight.'

Solution
I suggest downloading the latest Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft. You can use your license key from your Win10 Pro if it is valid.

Have a USB flash drive available.

Go to Rufus and make a bootable UEFI installation media with the above.
Rufus

Disable the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) if your motherboard has one or change BIOS option to UEFI only not Legacy & UEFI if you motherboard has that. No information listed as to what motherboard you have.

You may be able to boot with other BIOS settings set to default or you may need to set USB key as first boot option. When installation starts you have an opportunity to delete all existing partitions so you can start out with an empty drive. All formatting and...
I suggest downloading the latest Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft. You can use your license key from your Win10 Pro if it is valid.

Have a USB flash drive available.

Go to Rufus and make a bootable UEFI installation media with the above.
Rufus

Disable the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) if your motherboard has one or change BIOS option to UEFI only not Legacy & UEFI if you motherboard has that. No information listed as to what motherboard you have.

You may be able to boot with other BIOS settings set to default or you may need to set USB key as first boot option. When installation starts you have an opportunity to delete all existing partitions so you can start out with an empty drive. All formatting and partitions needed will be created on the empty drive.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS