Win10 refuses to load / install on 1TB hdd

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
I have installed Windows 10 on a WD10EADS 1tb hdd
Unfortunately it will not load after install. Not even to set up the account, etc.

I HAVE installed on 2 other HDD's successfully (160gb 3.5 and a 320gb 2.5) and I even CLONED one of the successful installs to the 1TB HDD but still same result.

I have tested the 1TB drive overnight with HD Tune Pro and found 0 bad sectors and of perfect health.

I have wiped and reformatted the 1TB drive between install attempts and this last attempt i created a 498gb partition to install onto thinking perhaps it had something to do with partition size...

The machine info is below:

HP Pavilion p6310y PC
AMD Athlon II x4 630 Quad Core Processor
6gb DDR3 RAM
NVidia GeForce 9100 intergrated graphics

Solution
Well, I don't really think you need specific drivers for different HDDs. You should just make sure your MOBO's drivers are up to data.
But yeah, it could have been some Win 10 issue.

D_Know_WD :)

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013

Well, I have successfully instaled Windows 10 on this machine using 2 other HDDs, so I never considered this. So does the fact that I have successfully installed W10 on this machine using 2 other HDDs not mean or change anything? It runs with no problems on these other, smaller drives.
Its a mystery ....!

well then all i can tell you its something wrong with that hard drive

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013

Do you think maybe there is a setting in BIOS that could affect the loading of W10 this way?

Hi there watrhous,

That is unpleasant. :(

I believe you can troubleshoot the connection. You can attach the drive with different cables to another SATA port, that is perhaps, on a different controller.
You are taking all the other drives out of the system right?

Do you get some sort of an error message during the installation?
Have you updated your MOBO's drivers?

I believe you can set your BIOS to default settings. (clear CMOS)

Do you have another computer, so you can try the drive over there?

I believe you can run both short and extended DLG tests on the drive as well: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=vaUkO4

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013

I did try different and new cables on alternative sata ports. I also reset BIOS, CMOS and took the RAM out and tried different RAM set. I think the one thing I did not do was to try to update a HDD driver (if there is one) on the machine prior to installation. I have decided to just install Windows 7 back onto the machine on this 1TB drive. No issues so far. I suspect it is a missing / conflicting W10 HDD driver. Either way, I have put Windows 7 back onto the box. Thanks for the replies.