[SOLVED] Win10 Shutdown - Spins up Sleeping HDDs before turning off. (why, & how to stop if possible?)

fredfinks

Honorable
I wondered why my PC takes a little while to shut down, then i noticed i can hear my HDDs spin up during the shutdown sequence. (They have turned off/spun down due to inactivity)
Thats the delay! The system is waiting for sleeping HDDs to activate and reach speed so it can then power down. Nothing is on the HDDs except video files. No program is running /accessing them when selecting 'shutdown'

Why does Win10 do this?? Is there a way to stop this from happening? Stop Win10 from necromancing corpses just to bury them

(no hibernate, swap file, recycle bin or restore points are active on the HDDs. They are just dumb storage.)

Last edited:
Solution
AFAIK Windows does a file system integrity check on all connected drives on startup and shutdown. Its a default Windows process and there is no way to prevent it and not recommended either. The only way to avoid is to disconnect the inactive drives altogether.
AFAIK Windows does a file system integrity check on all connected drives on startup and shutdown. Its a default Windows process and there is no way to prevent it and not recommended either. The only way to avoid is to disconnect the inactive drives altogether.

Solution
You can change your power plan to keep the drives active and spinning.
I believe it is part of the ntfs system to make sure all data is finalized /open handles terminated, and the drives safely spun down.

You could manually unmount the drives, but that is NOT recommended

TRENDING THREADS