[SOLVED] Win10: Suddenly can't type in login box

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
I have an older HP Envy laptop that all of a sudden can't type into the windows login screen.

The keyboard works fine in the BIOS and built in HP tests. Have tried all the obvious solutions like a reboot and even all the keyboard shortcut things but haven't been successful with them.

I also tried to use the virtual keyboard but still it won't register any key presses. Just makes a click sound when I touch a letter.

Here's the weirdest thing. Numbers still work on the number pad and function row. To make things even stranger the keyboard works fine when typing in a network name and when windows asks me to confirm a passphrase on my lock screen.

Any thoughts because I am stumped.

Solution
on the logon screen, open the power menu
while holding shift, click restart PC - keep holding shift until it restarts
  1. choose troubleshoot
  2. choose advanced
  3. choose startup options
  4. click the restart button
  5. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  6. Pc will restart and load safe mode

curious if keyboard works when logging into safe mode

Colif

Win 11 Master
on the logon screen, open the power menu
while holding shift, click restart PC - keep holding shift until it restarts
  1. choose troubleshoot
  2. choose advanced
  3. choose startup options
  4. click the restart button
  5. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  6. Pc will restart and load safe mode

curious if keyboard works when logging into safe mode

Reactions: CompuGuy71
Solution

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
@Colif Thaks for your suggestions, went through all the steps.

Long story short, talking 2 hours of trying to get into a command line and enable an admin account along with TONS of other things to try and at least get into windows. Turns out that they have forgotten their password and had given me an incorrect one because it was actually a PIN that was set up not a password.

Of course, they have no idea of the PIN. Nothing is actually wrong with the keyboard. SMH at the stuff that comes in the door.

Colif

Win 11 Master
shame you don't know PIN since the numbers work...
PC should have been opening with the PIN screen. if that is what its expecting.

I can't help you with getting passwords/PIN

you can reset PIN but you need password
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...-windows-a386c519-3ab2-b873-1e9b-bb228a98b904
can also reset password - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...password-8271d17c-9f9e-443f-835a-8318c8f68b9c

I don't know if resetting password and then resetting PIN would work.

If the people have a Microsoft Account, they may need to contact Microsoft to unravel it.

Last edited:

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
I don't know if resetting password and then resetting PIN would work.

If the people have a Microsoft Account, they may need to contact Microsoft to unravel it.
Yup that's where we are now. There's actually no issue with the keyboard. I was able to enable the admin account with the command prompt and tried to change the account password that way but since it's a Microsoft Acct it wouldn't let me. Trying to find the person who has the phone number associated with the setup