[SOLVED] [SOLVED] win10 update 1903 not detecting monitor on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

spjuver

Honorable
Jun 9, 2016
win10 update 1903 not detecting HDMI monitor on boot. I cant do anything else because my monitor is not working so cant enter the system for this reason. I tried to remove battery from MB for 45 minutes and its still not working. Any suggestion would be helpful.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
HDMI is typically not available on boot, and by that I don't mean after you've booted up, but during the boot process and until HDMI device drivers are loaded.

I do not see an easy way out of this other than borrowing a VGA monitor (if your machine has that output) and using it until you can get the HDMI device driver issue(s) sorted. Otherwise, you're probably going to have to commit to fixing the laptop (I presume this is a laptop) monitor.

Has this arrangement made it through Feature Updates past? I ask because it would be unusual for it to fail now, though not impossible.

spjuver

Honorable
Jun 9, 2016
HDMI is typically not available on boot, and by that I don't mean after you've booted up, but during the boot process and until HDMI device drivers are loaded.

I do not see an easy way out of this other than borrowing a VGA monitor (if your machine has that output) and using it until you can get the HDMI device driver issue(s) sorted. Otherwise, you're probably going to have to commit to fixing the laptop (I presume this is a laptop) monitor.

Has this arrangement made it through Feature Updates past? I ask because it would be unusual for it to fail now, though not impossible.

I was a bit wrong when saying I connected my monitor with HDMI, it was DisplayPort cable. I found HDMI cable, switched DP for HDMI and now it's working. I'm interested why this happened when DP was working perfectly before the update.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
First, always check device drivers.

Windows 10 is a lot more sensitive in this regard than earlier Windows was. Sometimes there comes a point where something that changed in Windows itself makes it incompatible with a driver that's been coasting along for years. It doesn't happen all that often, but it does happen. When it does visit your computer OEM's support pages for your machine under display drivers (or whatever the appropriate category might be) and, if there's nothing there that works, check the OEM of the device's support pages.

I can't tell you how many updates Intel has pushed out for my WiFi/Bluetooth over the last several years and AMD has as well for its Radeon graphics, neither of which show up on HP's support pages for my machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.