WIN10 will not allow a specific USB COM port driver to load

K5GM

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I have a device that uses a USB com port to dump data to a PC. It uses a STM32 USB COM port driver, which I have downloaded and installed on the PC. When the device is plugged into the PC, Device Manager immediately recognizes it and assigns a port number, but I cannot get WIN10 to allow me to assign the correct driver. The WIN10 default USB driver is assigned and does not work.

Solution
Cool that is what I thought In the first place. You just need to select your new driver as the default. There are three methods to do that. I would just stop plug and play, go to device manager remove the old device driver and select the new one and turn plug and play back on. You an also use the pnputil.exe to remove the old driver package from the driver store. Then pnp will select the new one as the default. Or you can use the user Interface where you select have disk and you specify the driver. I avoid this because the driver versions are not displayed in the user interface.

Arvind Bakshi

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014
You will have to allow unsigned driver installation.
http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

Good point, Windows 10 requires signed drivers with a Extended Validation Code Signing Certificate.

K5GM

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. I did NOT receive a message about an unsigned driver; the driver program is provided by STM in an installable package and the installation process went smoothly with no error msgs. So it is already installed. In addition, the driver Windows 10 is assigning to the STM USB port is a standard USB port driver, probably used elsewhere as well. I don't think I can simply delete it, as I have many other USB devices on this machine. Perhaps I am not fully understanding the suggestion.

Cool that is what I thought In the first place. You just need to select your new driver as the default. There are three methods to do that. I would just stop plug and play, go to device manager remove the old device driver and select the new one and turn plug and play back on. You an also use the pnputil.exe to remove the old driver package from the driver store. Then pnp will select the new one as the default. Or you can use the user Interface where you select have disk and you specify the driver. I avoid this because the driver versions are not displayed in the user interface.

Solution