Win10 wont boot from SSD in new PC

gunneh

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
So I recently acquired a new PC and after I put in my SSD with Win10, it wont boot anymore.
Whenever I set the SSD with Win10 as boot it says I need to insert the disk because it cant boot due to failed loading.

I used this same SSD in my past PC which had a change of mobo as well and it had no issues.
I have another SSD hooked up with Win7 through which Im booting now

Solution
You shouldn't just put a ssd/hdd from one PC into another PC and expect it to boot.

Yes, your win 7 proves it can work but majority of time it won't, the driver changes can just stop it working. There may be other reasons it won't boot as well. There is also the matter of a licence, as if all the hardware is new and win 10 was an upgrade from another version of windows, it won't activate anyway.

Unless your win 10 is a retail copy, you likely need to buy a new licence to install it on new pc.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You shouldn't just put a ssd/hdd from one PC into another PC and expect it to boot.

Yes, your win 7 proves it can work but majority of time it won't, the driver changes can just stop it working. There may be other reasons it won't boot as well. There is also the matter of a licence, as if all the hardware is new and win 10 was an upgrade from another version of windows, it won't activate anyway.

Unless your win 10 is a retail copy, you likely need to buy a new licence to install it on new pc.

Solution

gunneh

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014

I was hoping it would boot properly since it did fine with the last PC change. Maybe when I get my old mobo back it would work again?

gunneh

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014

One more question about this, some files on my hdd's require admin rights from the previous install of Win10. How do I circumvent this?

gunneh

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014

Awesome, thank you very much!