Question Win11Pro: Cannot create folder anywhere except on the Desktop

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Hi, guys,

With no error messages I can only create folders on the desktop: I cannot create them on any of my drives. The option simply does not appear.

I have tried right click; Cnt-Shft-N; restarting windows explorer; I have not gone into the register nor done a repair reinstallation of Win11.

What the heck is going on?

TIA,

Larry

Solution
The Saga Continued:

I created a flash drive and downloaded the files to do a Repair Install.

I performed the Repair Install with no issues.

The problem was unchanged!

So I created a new folder on the Desktop and tried to copy/move it to one of my drives: all drives were WRITE PROTECTED!!! (One cannot create a folder on a write protected drive, of course!)

I opened Partition Manager and Unwrite protected all my dri ves and my problem was solved! I have no idea whatsoever as to HOW all my drives became write protected, so I rather expect the problem will recur.

Any ideas as to Why/How all my drives became write protected?

Larry

Lutfij

Titan
If the issue happened fairly recently, try and perform a system restore to a point before the issue cropped up. I'd still look into recreating your bootable USB installer(to rule out a corrupt installer), then reinstalling the OS in offline mode.

Endre

Reputable
Hi, guys,

With no error messages I can only create folders on the desktop: I cannot create them on any of my drives. The option simply does not appear.

I have tried right click; Cnt-Shft-N; restarting windows explorer; I have not gone into the register nor done a repair reinstallation of Win11.

What the heck is going on?

TIA,

Larry
Hello!

I suggest backing up your personal data, then re-install Windows 11 clean (format the partition too).

Colif

Win 11 Master
could try

right click start
choose terminal (admin)
if it doesn't open as powershell, click the drop down arrow in title row and pick from list
copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
The Saga Continued:

I created a flash drive and downloaded the files to do a Repair Install.

I performed the Repair Install with no issues.

The problem was unchanged!

So I created a new folder on the Desktop and tried to copy/move it to one of my drives: all drives were WRITE PROTECTED!!! (One cannot create a folder on a write protected drive, of course!)

I opened Partition Manager and Unwrite protected all my dri ves and my problem was solved! I have no idea whatsoever as to HOW all my drives became write protected, so I rather expect the problem will recur.

Any ideas as to Why/How all my drives became write protected?

Larry

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
In general, disk write protected can be caused by virus attack or infection, corrupted file system and wrong value of Windows Registry Key, etc. If you are troubled in this issue, consider whether there are chances that your hard drive is infected with virus and run anti-virus software to check for it.

If you find a virus, clean install is often the best answer.

i would run chkdsk on all the drives

open command prompt (admin)

type chkdsk X: /f (replace X with drive name) and press enter

If its C drive, 2 paragraphs will pop up. Agree to running it at startup and restart PC to let it run.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS