Win2000 Server

haw

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2003
I am taking over a 10-user, Windows 2000 Server network running on a Workgroup. I want to rebuild this workgroup, make it a domain and run active directory. The network has no internet access, just application and file and print services. I will be adding a wireless DSL connection in January 2004. I know what I want to do, but how do I do it right! Are there any good books that can help with this? I can't afford to pay an arm and a leg have someone else do it. Any help is well appreciated.

riser

Illustrious
You're in over your head if you think a book will fix it.
As you know it's not cheap to do what you want to do because it's not easy.

Try getting a Windows 2000 Server book, an Active Directory book and you might be able to wing it.

Other than that, expect to take at least a week to configure your server. Also, you'll want to look into some form up backup software and a cheap tape backup because if something goes wrong, you're in for a headache.

My advice is to stick with the workgroup.

But go to a bookstore and check out their computer section. They normally will carry good books on what you want to do it, but I'll warn you in advance: "Trial and Error" is your new motto. :)

Riser

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by riser on 12/31/03 03:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

haw

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2003
Thanks for the advice. I have no problem in taking a week to get the server up and running. I have until January 7, 2004 to configure it. The DSL connection is no problem. I want to have the server configured with some security though. If I can get AD running, I will have opportunities to configure networks for others.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it will take you a week to read, but it wont take that long to configure an AD server, that's for sure. about 4-5 hours at the most if you do know nothing about it. the bestest way of doing it is to read the help files in the server itself, most of the info is there. AD is a nice thing to have for a long run and lots of users with different permissions, I understand you do it just for practice, but for what your company has going workgroup is the best thing to stick with.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...