Win2000/xp installation

Andy

Dear whoever,

Whilst trying to install win2000 or winxp on my computer
which has very old Intel AL440LX motherboard with latest
bios available (p14), the text setup screen freezes just
after hardware detection whilst displaying the
message "win2000/xp is starting setup". I have tried every
which way in terms of enabling or disabling power
management and pnp o/s settings in the bios and I have
tried all the forcing non-acpi hal options as well. Just
to be clear I have also tried setup with a 'bare-bones'
hardware config, but all to no avail. I am very aware that
the motherboard or bios may be too old/rubbish and would
like to know if there is a way to see a log of the failing
processes during setup that would give me either a fix or
a definitive answer as to the compatibility.
Phew!

Regards,

Andy.

Try a BIOS upgrade from the Motherboeard vendor first.
That normally work for me!

After doing a quick search on http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/search.mspx,
I don't believe your motherboard is supported in the Hardware Compatibility
List. Your hardware may not work with 2000, and if it was installed, there
is no guarantee that it would work as expected.

--
Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
Enterprise Platform Support