Question WIN2012r2 Back up

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
I am using the included backup software. I had know issues back up schedule ran perfectly for months since i installed the new synology NAS ds1817. Then without any changes being made that i am aware of and i am the only I.T person with access. I can no longer back up to the NASds1817. I am recieving error "There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set Detailed error the specified backup disk cannot be found"

Without making any changes i can plug in a my book via USB and get a back up. The issue is backing up via USB takes over 24 hrs . I have been back and fourth a dozen times with synology tech support and i have yet to be able to actually speak to someone. The keep asking for more and more info,logs,screenshots. I am at my witts end i have sent them every possible error via screen shot, all the logs from the NAS.

I have been dealing with this for over a month with no help from synologys tech support. I have been running backups through USB but it slows down the network and causes users to complain.

If anyone has Any info or ideas on this please let me know.

Again synology tech support has been unhelpful. I keep asking just to speak to someone or have a tech remote in but thats not the way they do things. I have to log into the NAS, from there go into my account and submit a ticket. I have submited several tickets and any and all info the asked for i have provided and still i have yet to recieve any support. I need to find away to fix this issue even if its a temp fix/workaround until i can get synology tech support to help me work through this issue. I am just missing to many nights of backups either because the networks gets to slow and i have to cancel the back up or the back up from last night is still working 24hrs later. I just need to get backup schedule back on track.. any help will be greatly apreciated..

Thanks
Ivan

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
SO same issues doesnt matter what portion of my server i try to backup i get the same errors.
The mounted volumes are inaccessable.
The specified backup disk can not be found.

If i plug a my book into the USB with the same settings i can run a back up with the only issue being the amount of time it takes,

But with this NAS which worked perfect for the first few months
i get these errors. The thing is i have access to the NAS and to all the share folders with no problems .

This is really Kicking my *$$ . I have been trying to figure this out for over a month . Synology tech support has to be the worse i have come across in a very long time. I have opened ticket after ticket and provided screen shots of all errors and the log files from the NAS itself.

In my head its a NAS issue only because i can back up to a mybook via usb. I just dont know what else to try at this point .

Please someone anyone HELP!!

Jan 9, 2019
Is there any errors in the NAS logs?

Did you recently change the password for the account on the windows box?

Do you have a UNC/Samba share set in the backup job, or is it backing up to a Drive letter?

If its set through a drive letter, can you connect to that Drive?

If its set through a UNC (Or SAMBA) share can you access it by typing \\servernas\sharename ?

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
I just reread my first post in this thread maybe if i clarified instead of complained someone would be able to assist me..

I have server with 30-35 users 2 plotters and 2 printer/copiers
Its all CAt5 nothing wireless .
The server is running 2012r2 with 2 virtuals
So the server acts as HOST
The 1st hyper V acts as DNS and Holds The majority of our files
The 2nd hyper V is only for Quickbooks and only holds our main Quickbook file.

I have been backing up with no issues forever. A few months ago we upgraded to a larger NAS . I use the NAS to Archive some old files to try and save room on the server ,I also back up the server to this NAS.
Again when i first set up the new larger NAS i had no issues.
The backup ran as scheduled and rarely was it unsuccesful .

I am using Windows server backup . I send it to a shared folder in the nas . When using a shared folder windows writes over the previous days back up so I usually rename and move 1 weekly until a new month then i keep the last monthly delete the other 3/4 and start on the next month.

So about a month maybe 6 weeks the first thing i noticed was i could no longer use my network User/password when asked for permissions to the share. I started having to use the user and password i set up for the NAS web browser. After this i started getting declined when trying to set up a backup schedule because of user/password issues. But i was still able to atleast do a 1 time back up. I had to set it up everyday at end of day but atleast i got my daily backups.

Currently i cant do any kind of backups to the NAS. I posted above the different errors i recieve. Whats really making me nuts is
i can take a MYBOOK external and connect it through USB and without changing any backup setting besides the backup destination it works . It still as a share ,not a volume or local drive.
The problem is Using USB the backup is over 24 hrs so i can only run them on a friday or saturday into the next day. During the week it slows down the network and just gets me complaints from my users.

So i have went over the NAS and cant come up with any reason for any of these issues. Again it worked great after i initially did the set up and it worked for atleast of couple months headache free.
Its a synology1817 with 8 bays. I have 30TB so plenty of space for what i use it for. I can access the shares, i checked permissions all that is still correct and the same as when i was able to backup to it.

I have gone nowhere dealling with synologys tech support ..

OK if anyone has any ideas... I think its the NAS but the errors i am getting are confusing. The real reason i am pointing my finger at the NAS Is being able to back up to another shared folder connected through USB without changing any setting but the destination.

Hopefully this helps someone that could possibly help me..
Im at my witts end

thanks again everyone
Ive

Jan 9, 2019
Can you attempt to reset the Nas back to factory and reset the share back up? This will bomb the current saves but it could get you back and going.
All Nas's are different. WD nas's have a internal type login. FreeNas uses a Samba share. Some are FTP...
I personally would try the Reset to factory and start over. Something got goobered up for sure.

TRENDING THREADS